Unknown tool - identification humbly requested...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joewhite

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
I came across this tool recently and have been completely unable to determine what it is and more importantly, what it is for.
I'd be very grateful if any of your good selves can shed any light on its intended function.
Pictures below...

eP7170009.jpg
eP7170008.jpg
eP7170004.jpg
eP7170002.jpg
eP7170003.jpg
eP7170005.jpg
eP7170006.jpg

Thanks in advance for any information,
JW.

Attachments

• eP7170006.jpg
    eP7170006.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170005.jpg
    eP7170005.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170003.jpg
    eP7170003.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170002.jpg
    eP7170002.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170004.jpg
    eP7170004.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170008.jpg
    eP7170008.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • eP7170009.jpg
    eP7170009.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,746
Looks like one of the mass of accessories that accompany SWMBO's sewing machines, but no idea what it might be for. That dark red plastic says 1960s to me, but beyond that, no clue.

My guess is in the same sort of general area as Dick's - some sort of accessory for a knitting machine or a loom?

cambournepete":2hzbdp4y said:
Looks a bit like a telephone socket wiring tool to me.

Yeah its an early GPO multi tool. The forked part is for phone sockets and of course the other bit is for cleaning out horses hooves :lol:

I agree, it looks like the punch tool for BIX frames in a telephone exchange,,,

Just asked my friend who has used sewing machines of various types for many years, never seen one before.

I saw something similar in a puncture repair set for tube less tyres, it was used to feed the repair rubber through the hole in the tyre

Yes - tubeless tyre repair tool. It's been niggling me ever since it was posted, and that ID would tally with a date of the 1960s. The plugs used for repair came as a long rubber "rod" of about 3mm diameter, which was fed in to the hole in the tyre via that rounded hole in the side of the main body of the tool. The spiky bit would be a reamer for enlarging the hole to take the plug.
Probably not legal to run a home-repaired tyre now, but back in the day, we did silly things!

Thank you for your replies all.

This tool was found in the street, randomly. The premise of it being possibly used in relation to phone sockets and telephone exchange wiring resonates with me a tad more than sewing machine or tubeless tyre repair tool.

I have no solid basis for this reasoning although I guessed it would be a tool for the sort of job that the average Joe wouldn't be concerned with.

I so far reckon that it was dropped and/or misplaced by a techy working near my house.

No use to me, I'm sure - but an unusual and stimulating mind game none the less. I've been pondering its purpose for untold time now. Your suggestions have edged me towards a slightly less than ignorant hypothesis yet no firm footing found as to its reason for being.

Your consideration is appreciated,

JW.

joewhite":3q2gfs1g said:

This tool was found in the street, randomly.

Ah - so it's current, not antique. That a VERY useful piece of information.

BugBear

bugbear":2ga1ank2 said:
joewhite":2ga1ank2 said:

This tool was found in the street, randomly.

Ah - so it's current, not antique. That a VERY useful piece of information.

BugBear

Unless it was found in the street [randomly] two hundred years ago.

Latest posts

Back