UK Driving Licence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":2kqf1zw9 said:
riclepp":2kqf1zw9 said:
A word of caution though when renewing your driving licence. The DVLA have in the past taken away parts of your licence i.e. categories that you can drive and it took ages for them to acknowledge their mistake and replace. So take either a photo copy of scan of your licence and fully check it when you get it back. A point to note they do this on a very regular basis as most of them at DVLA are morons.
The favourite being to lose the motorcycle category - this happened to an acquaintance of mine, who'd held a licence for 40yrs, and had to retake his test. It actually happened to a police motorcyclist as well.

It happened to me in 1990
My entitlement to ride bikes was Lost and I was told I had to re take the test I gave up after 8 months of sheer frustration and have yet to retake my Test :cry: :evil:

Dodge":2bhtzxiq said:
riclepp":2bhtzxiq said:
A word of caution though when renewing your driving licensce. The DVLA have in the past taken away parts of your licensce i.e. categories that you can drive and it took ages for them to acknowledge teir mistake and replace. So take either a photo copy of scan of your licensce and fully check it when you get it back. A point to note they do this on a very regular basis as most of them at DVLA are morons.

I had exactly this happen to me a few months ago - having lost/misplaced/put somewhere safe my paper driving licence (Doh!) ended up applying for a new photocard replacement which came within a few days as my passport is current.

Anyway a few days after receiving I looked more closely to realise that I could no longer drive a 7.5 tonner or tow a trailer. A phone call later and after pressing numerous this button/that button got through to someone who agreed that these items should have been on my licence and arranged a replacement.

If I hadn't have looked could have been very embarrassing had I have been stopped for any reason :(

The 7.5 ton and trailer categories were taken off in about 1999. If you passed you test after that they're not on your licence. If you passed before that you've "grandfather rights" - they've just made a mistake and given you a younger persons licence, not that that's any good to you.

RogerS":3bfy9ru9 said:
on the reverse where it says I can drive tanks, aircraft carriers and Tornado fighters, the date To is different and later than the front number in 4b

OK, I can see the tank part. But you can fly jets with your driver's license? Cool!

Kirk
who needs to visit the local DMV to renew sometime in the next month...

Peter T":tbsmsok4 said:
I've also seen something about carrying disposable breathalisers as well.

As a regular user of the Eurotunnel I have to carry a disposable breathaliser and it must be an approved type, and it must be within the 'Use by' date. Bit of a pain since I only ever spend about 40 minutes in France, never stop between the terminal and the Belgiun border, and hardly ever drink nowadays anyway :roll: A twin pack cost me £7 from the AA at Folkestone but you can get them cheaper.

kirkpoore1":20a4xj2g said:
RogerS":20a4xj2g said:
on the reverse where it says I can drive tanks, aircraft carriers and Tornado fighters, the date To is different and later than the front number in 4b

OK, I can see the tank part. But you can fly jets with your driver's license? Cool!

Kirk
who needs to visit the local DMV to renew sometime in the next month...

Only British jets which of course are Right Hand Drive and manual gearbox, we are not allowed on those snazzy American jets with Left Hand Drive and Auto shift :wink: :roll: :lol:

OK, thanks guys for the heads-up. My photocard is well out-of-date.

So I have to replace it. Ho hum. Another 20gbp. But here is the rub - what is a photo? The booklet specifies the acceptable size, colour, clothing, facial expression, background and so forth, but nowhere does it say what quality of paper or image. Am I allowed to tke a picture on my camera phone, print it off and send that? Or do I have to resort to one of those nasty little booths in the local shopping centre?

Has anyone here printed their own photo and had it accepted?

Don't they transfer your passport photo if you have one?
Long time since I replaced mine?

Rod

Yes
I did for my Passport renewal and digital tacho card 18 months ago
Used a web cam but I see no reason not to use a mobile phone
Just printed it out onto photo paper at the size it said to do it and cut it out
And it was used to go to America LOL

Roger

DIY passport photos are a minefield.
They are supposed to be taken in a shop or booth.
I have some decent gear and took photos for my wife and daughter.
Same session, same background, same lighting etc etc.
I used photoshop to crop to the correct size and followed all the criteria.
My daughters photos were accepted but not my wife's "as they had not been taken in a booth"!!??
Now I just use a booth - it saves hassle.

Rod

I do not have a current passport, so cannot use that route. I think the nearest photobooth is about 25 miles away.

If I take a photo in a suitably bland environment, how would they know it was not taken in a booth? I will have to see if we have any photo-paper.

I've taken my own for mine and wifes passports and driving licences and for ma in law passport, all no problem.
I used a white sheet pinned to a wall, canon 400d on a tripod and took loads of pics. ('cos the wife is fussy - no me of course :wink: )

You can download the template off the web along with general coditions. The pics aren't supposed to be cropped or photoshopped but I've done both.
They are very picky about a full face on pose, no teeth showing or hair over face etc, and the background colour is definately better white or just off white or they can reject it. Needs to be good quality photo paper, not lightweight stuff but it isn't too expensive just test print of std paper until it's right. Can't remember but I think it has to be glossy, not matt or satin finish.

I took our current passports in to Durham and they checked the background against a sheet of copy paper :roll:

Bob

Thanks for that reassurance Lons. I may well go the print-it-myself route. It seems absurd to have to pay a lot for a picture booth when I have sufficient technology for the task sat idle.

Back