Twister FU-180

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
At present I am just beginner starting on old Coronet Consort multiwork machine and I have to admit I do not like this single pole setup. Twister FU- 180 is nearest capacity wise what I am planning to do without any extra extension and outrigers.
Anyone can share any experience with this one?
There is not much user info about these online.
What would be possible options of simmilar spec?
Thank you

I've had a Twister FU180 for about 4 years now and can heartily recommend it. I bought mine from Simon Hope and delivery was trouble free from Germany. That said, it is pretty much the same as the Axminster one (AP406WL I think) so take your pick. Mine is with the legs which are really solid and stable. I started with a Record 0 twin bar but grew out of it wanting variable speed and a flat bed. At that price range there are several makes and models with a similar spec so do your homework and shop around.

Hi thank you for your info..
Went today to Axminster to have a look and did look on the mentioned AP406WL which if the measurement on Simon Hope's website are right is a bit longer than FU-180 and would not fit my available space. I am also going probably tomorrow to Colchester to see FU-180 in flesh there.
I have also looked on Jet and Laguna.
Reason why I asked is that there is not much of feedback about FU-180 available online in English speaking population and did not want to get nasty surprises.

I bought the FU180 twister plus extension bed and work steady from Simon Hope about 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it. I had a Tyme Cub before.
Wish I'd made the change before.
If you're going to view at Simons beware - he has a nice shop with lots of woodturning accessories. Very easy to buy more than you intended.

I think the AP406WL is the same as the FU 200 which wasn't sold in the UK at the time I bought the 180. Simon should be able to clarify.

I a m going there on Thursday as I managed to get also on one of their begginer courses. Thank you for the warning. I was surprised that today in Axminster it was only DMT extra fine card and a stainless steel brush as I was looking for carbide impregnated rubber wheels which I could use to restore some of my gauges but no luck there.

I started out with a Record DML 305(I think), then switched to the Axi AP350. But I then bought the FU-180 with legs, they make it soooo much more solid, can't fault it. From what I've read previously(not on this site) the build quality is better on Fu-180 than the Axi, but I've not owned the AP406. Simon is really helpful .

Simon Hope? Brilliant service. I emailed a query on Sunday regarding the sets of sanding arbors. I got the reply yesterday morning, that although they didn't list the set I was asking about, they could make it up and the cost would be same as the one listed. I ordered it immediately and I already have it. (I wanted Quick Click as I already have another set in that format.)

Sorry to be late to the party but another upvote for Simon Hope and the Twister 180.

It’s a great lathe that has served me just fine. Build quality is good, it’s quiet, smooth, powerful enough and a joy to use.

As another has pointed out, it’s the baby sister to the Axminster 406 (with the twister 200 being identical in all but paint finish), so that should give anyone a benchmark for quality and the ability to check out user reviews, then just compare physical size and motor power.

Simon’s package deals are also great value if you don’t have tools, sanding gear etc and he was happy to tailor my package if needed.

Aready went to see it at Simon Hope's place while I was there on course. Unfortunately on the same day missed the one going unsold on bay. I have to save now more money to get it new.

Latest posts

Back