Turnings from the weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is a Spalted Beech bowl I turned yesterday. It is about 8"X3"

P1000637.jpg

P1000636.jpg

P1000638.jpg

And a large rimmed platter I did on saturday. The photos seem to distort the rim and look like it is angled outward, it is in fact almost dead flat. I had intended to colour the rim and gold leaf the dish area, but once turned I could not bring myself to do it. The grain is too nice. It is about 180mm diameter.

P1000639.jpg

P1000640.jpg

P1000641.jpg

Good finish quality on both Richard, you have achieved a fair amount of undercut on the bowl rim as well.

If you have a go at another platter suggest you try one with sharp edges to the contour transitions for comparison of effect, probably swings more to a display as opposed to a user piece but can give quite a different interpretation on the figuring.

Really like them both Richard, both as beautiful as each other. Both pieces look to be immaculately finished, what did you use if you don’t mind me asking?

Dan

Santos":1g1ei6o1 said:
Really like them both Richard, both as beautiful as each other. Both pieces look to be immaculately finished, what did you use if you don’t mind me asking?

Dan

The bowl is just finished with cellulose sanding sealer, the platter has friction polish and buffed with wax

CHJ":2w5zdrzi said:
Good finish quality on both Richard, you have achieved a fair amount of undercut on the bowl rim as well.

I don't have any special tools, that was the best I could do with a gouge and a std round nose scraper. I had my elbow leaning on a shelf behind the lathe to get that undercut.

CHJ":2w5zdrzi said:
If you have a go at another platter suggest you try one with sharp edges to the contour transitions for comparison of effect, probably swings more to a display as opposed to a user piece but can give quite a different interpretation on the figuring.

The original idea I had was to turn a platter to use as an experiment piece for finishing, I was going to colour the rim, then a fresh cut to get a clean sharp edge to the recess, and then gold leaf the recess and lacquer it all, but I really do just love wood and when I saw that grain I could not bring myself to adulterate it, so I just sanded and finished.

Back