Triton TSPST450 450W Oscillating Spindle & Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Anybody got one of these?

61JGwQ9XjrL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-TSPST45 ... n+TSPST450

Just got one, tried it out and I'm a bit disappointed with it. In spindle-sanding mode it's absolutely fine but in belt-sanding mode it's awful. There's a huge amount of slop in the left side (non powered end) of the belt where the mechanism rides up and down on this daft tapered plastic thing, meaning it has a horrendous vibration.

Before returning thought I'd ask if anyone else here had one.

*don't buy cheap tools, don't buy cheap tools* when will i learn? :(

The Triton like so many others is a clone of another machine, I have a similar one made by who knows, but I am very pleased with it, are you sure you seat the belt mechanism correctly when you bolt it down, the whole belt goes up and down, what are you referring too with "this daft tapered plastic thing"

Hi Mike

I'm referring to the left side, non-powered end of the belt-sanding cartridge. On mine the left side of cartridge has a metal guide that slides up and down in this tapered plastic thing attached to the main housing by 2 allen keys.

There's a huge amount of play/slop. With machine off I can rock the left side of cartridge back and forth by 2 or 3 mm. When machine is running there's a big wobble at the top of the oscillating stroke, causing a bad vibration. It's not quite so bad when a workpiece is applying pressure.

Maybe I have a duff machine if yours is ok?

As a brief experiment, I tried shimming the metal guide with some tape, it reduced the wobble but the tape was starting to scuff up so I removed it. I might try some smooth plastic though.

Mine does not have any play that I have noticed, always thought the thing was a good buy, not in the workshop until late Friday, I will check if its the same mechanism.

Mike

Latest posts

Back