Triton TRB-001 12 mm collect or collet sleeve?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanneKi

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, I just realised there is no collet reducer/sleeve available that would do the 1/2" -> 12 mm reduction! It's only 0.7 mm in difference and well, the sleeve would be only 0.3 mm thick... ;/

Is it really so you can't get any collet + nut for Triton that would be 12 mm? Could you use one of the Trend one's instead?

http://www.trend-uk.com/productlist/3/169/Collets.html

Seems they have plenty of those...

Looking at the Trend site again there are some items that look like they will go in a 1.2" collet and have a collet extention. However the description says to take theaded cutters hence my edit. I suggest you e-mail trend direct and tell them exactly what you would like to achieve and see what they suggest.

Alan

I didn't have any luck, J, sorry. If you can find collets for the Hitachi, they will probably fit. The Hitachi-style collet fitted to the big Triton looks like this:

triton14.jpg

Ray.

Sorry to jump in on this thread. I was using my leigh jig last night and all was going well on my project until on the last piece of half blind dovetails the collet reducer slipped in the router.
I have been using the largest router bit 80-8 in the triton mof001 with the half inch collet and reducer and I have had this slip twice. In my triton box i got two 1/4inch collets and one half inch. So my question is do they sell an 8mm collett??
To say I am cross with the slip would be an understatement I had spent ages gluing up and squaring the panels for my chest. :evil:
owen

Too bad about your ruined panel now... I really hope Triton would start taking us "metric" based guys seriously too, they are loosing out a lot on the market in Europe because of lack of suitable collets.

Is it possible to get any measurements on the collect, i.e. inner diameter, outer diameter and length for example (in millimetres, if possible).

I have now ordered a Hitachi M12V2. I ordered an extra 12mm collet, so in case it looks like the Triton collet I'm willing to send it to UK for someone to test if it works. The Hitachi collets are surprisingly cheap and I could order a huge batch of those if there's enough interest.

Having had a 1/4" bit slip out of the Triton collet with the supplied reducer, I could well be interested in a properly sized collet if it fits!

Well, the Hitachi router collets are available also in imperial sizes. I'll give it a look once I get it (takes apprx 2 weeks or so and might be I'm not allowed to open the package until Christmas - 24th of December as it's a gift from the Santa :oops: )...

:)

JanneKi":21533w75 said:
Well, the Hitachi router collets are available also in imperial sizes. I'll give it a look once I get it (takes apprx 2 weeks or so and might be I'm not allowed to open the package until Christmas - 24th of December as it's a gift from the Santa :oops: )...

:)

Can I ask where you sourced the extra collet from?

I ordered the extra collets along with the actual router, they have every spare part available and can order those (at least from here in Finland, doubt it to be any different from UK).

The collet numbers started all with 323-xxx, I have the numbers at the office but not here at home. BUT - I don't know if they will fit!

Hei,

I got the Hitachi M12V2 and I've even got the extra collet. But, it does not even remotely look what the Triton one does. :-(

Links to the images I took of the collet.

14122007040.jpg

14122007039.jpg

14122007038.jpg

That's interesting. The collet you show is a self-releasing type, unlike the one I showed in my reply (11 posts earlier), which was referred to as an "Hitachi-style" collet and was fitted to earlier M12V routers.

As the collet you show is one from the new M12V2, then we'll just have to find new terminology for the older style, I guess.

Can you get the style of collet you show in 8mm?

Ray.

> Can you get the style of collet you show in 8mm?

Yes, I think you can. The Hitachi M8 version is a 8 mm version of it, so I guess the part from it should. There actually might even be one included in the M12V2 package as well, since it also supports 8 mm bits. I just can't remember by heart if it's a complete set or a just a reducer. It's in my garage and well, it's a present for Christmas so I can't play with it before 24th of December... :)

- J

OllyK":2jl0f6jg said:
Having had a 1/4" bit slip out of the Triton collet with the supplied reducer, I could well be interested in a properly sized collet if it fits!
Ive been reading a few sites recently when looking for collets for my Sears Craftsman router, i came across an Amercian shop that was selling these little rubber grommet type things in packs of ten,to stop collets etc.. from slipping.
Like these:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10412&filter=collet grommet rings

Bob,

They are just rubber O rings, used to stop the shank bottoming in the collect, which limits the grip.
I have just bought O rings from a bearing suppliers, got some that are tight on the shank. I put them on the shank above the collect to stop them dropping too far in, this means you don't have to hold the sharp end while tightening the nut. 8)

Back