Travel Cocktail Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

A little while ago my ladyfriend and I went on a picnic with a group of friends, and while it was lovely there was a definite issue regarding the safe transportation of liquid-based intoxicants. In an attempt to solve this (and for a bit of a laugh) I retreated to my workshop and built this little chap:

403484_10150989136782814_315796091_n.jpg

Its designed so that the bottom doors open to reveal a couple of miniature glasses, the front then folds down to rest on the doors to form a table and reveal the spirits and recipe book, and the back panel slides up to reveal the mixers, like this:

535765_10150989150412814_1652838693_n.jpg

560598_10150989151612814_682464688_n.jpg

527591_10150989150992814_1779980888_n.jpg

The whole thing was done with hand tools, as at the time my workshop had no power (it was a leaky shed), but I would appreciate any comments/criticisms...also, if anyone can think of a companion piece for me to have a go at I would be most interested to hear!

Cheers chaps,
Mister Griffiths

I rather like that.

How about a matching meat/cheese safe?

How delightfully decadent :eek:ccasion5:

That's brilliant, I bet it will get some use, which is the proof of the pudding.

Thank you all, I appreciate the appreciation! I am never too sure how these things will go down, it's nice to get an outside opinion on my to tinkerings.

Some brilliant suggestions too! The humidor would be marvellous, however as I don't smoke I feel I would not be able to out it to full use, and the Tantalus...well, I looked it up and the idea tantalises me...As we are on a picnic theme though, I adore the idea of a travel meat/cheese safe! I shall get doodling, and see if I can get it done in time for summer.

Thanks again, folks!

Regards,
Dave

Oddly enough, I did make a carved walking stick a few years back for a competition, that had a croquet mallet head attachment...if I can find it, I shall put a picture up

Regards,
Dave

how about a case/box containing a turned collapsable/dismantable 3 tier cake/sandwich stand?

Hi Dave
That's a great design. I particularly like the wee gothic windows. Can I ask how you cut them? Is there more than one piece of wood involved? I can't picture the most efficient way to do that. Or maybe you just cut them out with a jigsaw?
Sorry, I'm a complete beginner and need to learn!

The front panel was made up of two boards planed flat on the edges and glued together. Then I drew the arches onto the front and drilled a couple of holes into the waste part, large enough to insert the blade of a coping saw into. After the waste bits were cut out, it was a simple job with some carving chisels to tidy the edges up and form the centre column into a more rounded shape.

Oh, and the depression in the back for the piece of glass was also a chisel job, I don't have a router unfortunately! Hope that sheds some light, it's not an excitingly complex process but it DOES work.

The cake stand is appealing...I wonder if the centre column could be concertina-d, like an intricate version of one of those collapsible clothes horses...?

Latest posts

Back