toy plans designs for handicapped children

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickp

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm after some help finding designs for toys for handicapped children.

I have a 3 1/2 yo daughter who has cerebral palsy. her fine motor skills are fairly restricted.

so far I have increased the size of some toys for her but am wondering if anyone has come across websites for this type of stuff or knows of books etc.

any type of idea would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Mick

Hi Mick

I think you'll struggle on this one as there are generally very few sites which have plans of anything suitable for the handicapped as a group. I've had some experience of manufacturimng children's furniture including stuff like theme beds, if you could expand on what is required I'd be happy to try and come up with some suitable designs.

Regards

Scrit

I somewhat understand whet you are experiencing Mick. My 2 1/2 year old nephew is the same way. He has very severe CP and deals weekly with a therapist. I hope you don't mind me following on this thread as I would like to do something to help the little gaffer.

I know more about handicapped children than I do about wood.

I have emailed an American Occupational Therapist friend who treats handicapped children and asked her to send me a list of catalogs.

As soon as I get the list I will post it. However, I am away all next week learning how to sharpen tools with David Charlesworth, so you might have to wait a bit.

Well guys, the course with David Charlesworth was great. I learned a lot. So, here now are some resources which might be helpful.

Books:
Marvellous Transforming Toys by Jim Makowicki
Making Heirloom toys by Jim Makowiki
Making Toys that Teach by Les Neufeld
All of these are published by Taunton in the USA, and can be obtained from GMC publications in Britain.

The following web sites and catalogues contain a lot of information. You may have to hunt to find toys, chairs, swings etc. If you download pictures you can probably work out the details of construction.

Achievement products
www.specialkidszone.com

Belle Curve records, Inc.
www.bellecurve.com
(under) [email protected]

tfh
www.tfhusa.com

Spacecraft
www.spacecraftsolutions.com

Sportime
www.sportime.com

Sensory Comfort