Toy Crocodiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Brubaker

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend recently returned from Mexico & brought with him a toy wooden crocodile with a flexible body (croc on the left in photo) which I promptly copied (center of photo). Because kids seem to really like animated pull toys I made one which when pulled the legs pretend that it is running & with the flex body incorporated gives a fairly realistic appearance .

Thanks for looking

crocodiles_001-1.jpg

Paul: Running down the center of the toy is a strip of pigskin to which the wood segments are glued. The body is made in two halves, shaped, & then taped together. A paper template is spray glued to the top of the body. The template acts as a guide for bandsawing the body into segments. The segments are then sanded & painted except for the portion of the segment that is to be glued to the leather. The segments are kept in order as you process them for sanding & painting because if you mix them up you will be astounded at how difficult it is to get them back in order.(Ask me how I know this LOL). With another template laid out above the strip of leather to guide placement of the segments the first side is glued up. The second side is then glued up aligning the segments to those glued up on the first side.
In this case the segments for the front and rear wheels are larger than the rest of the body segments. The head is shaped from a solid piece of wood. Hope this is clearer than mud. :lol:

Lee

Back