Toy box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to be making a toy box for my Granddaughters first birthday.

I have been provided with photos of what is expected.

I looked around the net and found these plans.

http://www.chiefs-shop.com/chiefsshop-toybox.pdf

It's pretty close to what is expected.

My woodwork is of a coarser variety, usually utilising 70 and 38 mm nails :) , I don't own a pocket screw jig or biscuit joiner so I was wondering if I could use glue and screws to hold it together. Could countersink them and fill up before painting.

I will be making it from 18 mm mdf, unless someone has a better idea.

I am confident I can make the box, painting it is what scares me.

my skills are pretty basic, but I would not use mdf for a kiddies box. it crumbles very quickly with hand wear and tear.
Use the 18mm plywood as the plans say. and be careful of the paint. if the kiddie is likely to handle and bite it, you need to make sure its baby safe.

Aye, definitely ply instead of mdf, the first time she tries to lift the lid and jams something between it and the back, it'll split round the screws. Glued and screwed would be strong enough I would have thought but what a grand excuse to buy a biscuit jointer or pocket hole jig.

Probably pushing your luck to try and slip both past security though.

Shug

a real fear of mine is kiddies having their fingers crushed as heavy lids fall down while they are holding the top edge. Even ply could hurt a baby or small chiid. I would like to see a latching system that stops the lid from free falling.

OK, plywood it is then,

Mrwilson, it is already going to cost more to make than I could buy it for so hoping to keep one off purchases to a min.

blackrodd, Might stretch to that as it might come in handy for other things.

sunnybob, I was planning on fitting something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAS-STRUT-LID ... 1080472295

artie":3jt4dxoj said:
OK, plywood it is then,

Mrwilson, it is already going to cost more to make than I could buy it for so hoping to keep one off purchases to a min.

blackrodd, Might stretch to that as it might come in handy for other things.

sunnybob, I was planning on fitting something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAS-STRUT-LID ... 1080472295

nowadays, EVERYTHING costs more to make than to buy, its just the satisfaction of saying "i made that"

they make a desk top brass hinge / lid catch. Do you remember them from the 1960's? You open it normally, but then have to grasp the catch and push it against the direction of travel to release it. That way it needs two hands, and its bound to be cheaper than a gas strut. I'll see if I can surf the link.

found lots of varieties on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lid-Stay-Lift ... 84c0e3e68d

So I bought some 18 mm Malaysian plywood, Kreg pocket hole kit, I have the parts cut out.

I need a hinge/hinges and paint.

The plans call for a 600 mm piano hinge, my searches have thrown up some very expensive ones.

I have no experience with painting, I am guessing I need some primer/undercoat or both.? and some child friendly top coat.

artie":2lko6i3h said:
So I bought some 18 mm Malaysian plywood, Kreg pocket hole kit, I have the parts cut out.

I need a hinge/hinges and paint.

The plans call for a 600 mm piano hinge, my searches have thrown up some very expensive ones.

I have no experience with painting, I am guessing I need some primer/undercoat or both.? and some child friendly top coat.

I would assume a water based acrylic primer undercoat and a water based acrylic eggshell topcoat both with minimal VOC content would be sufficient, applied with a foam roller?
I have used Leyland paints before: http://www.leylandsdm.co.uk/datasheets.html
However I only make the assumption that they would be "safe" for your project.
It would be prudent to undertake further investigation yourself for the intended purpose.

Job done and delivered. Everone very happy,

Attachments

• IMG_3299small.jpg
    IMG_3299small.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3300small.jpg
    IMG_3300small.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3301small.jpg
    IMG_3301small.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 101
monkeybiter":1epef0zd said:
Smart looking toy box.

If you don't look too close. :)

My daily woodwork is of a coarser variety.

However the recipients were very happy and that is the main thing.

Nicely done! And a good choice of design and plans.
Hopefully this will fire you up to make more stuff for those lovely grandchildren,
They don't know they they want them yet!
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":3q1q5389 said:
Hopefully this will fire you up to make more stuff for those lovely grandchildren,

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Christmas will be coming soon so I need to start thinking of something for then.

So far, it is only one Grandchild a girl one year old, so any ideas for something not too big or heavy as it has to be lugged onto a ferry or couriered.

And not too complicated. :D

Back