Total Novice finishing advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfitzger

Reaction score
Hi,

I just acquired an old sideboard that I'm going to try bring back to life.
It has been recently sanded and has had several coats of danish oil applied.

I'd like to get a black gloss finish on the main body of the piece and go for a bright gloss finish on the drawers.

Any advice on the best way to get achieve the black finish ?

Should I remove the dainish oil first ? I think it seeps into the wodd so what would be the best method to do that if required.

If I didn't go black could I assume applying darker stains of danish oil or similar over the existing finish should be ok as it would just be darkening the existing finish ?

As for painting over dainish oil, any tips ?

Many thanks

Hello and welcome

No more stains over and over just produce a horrid brown colour. Getting the danish off would be as simple as sanding back to bear wood. yes it soaks in but getting it out means sanding alot of surface off and not really required.

If you want a black finish then your options are paint and Ebony wood stain. You need a stain that sits on the surface more I believe as with danish soaked into the timber a penetrating stain will not work. In this case I would paint/stray black gloss or black matt then varnish gloss.

Hi,

Many thanks great advice.

Would you lightly sand to give the paint a key to the surface first ?

Could you recommend a good quality paint, I think I'd go with a matt balck via brush as spray results in my hands may be a bit more unpredictable.

I tend to use Dulux or Crown both trade quality.

I would sand till there are no surface oil visable. You want a smooth surface to start with and the wood will be a good enough key. I would start with a primer, 2 coats and sanding lightly with 240g between and then 3 coats of black again sanding with 240g between and maybe finer after last coat. It may seem a lot but with black you want a smooth and flat surface as you can get before the varnish is applied.

Back