Tormek's new T-7 and the SE-76 jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just had the new Tormek T-7 to try, very nice if you haven't already got one but for those of us who have already made the investment there is a new jig supplied in the kit. This is part of the review I've written for The Woodworker I thought you may find it interesting.

Keith

Tormek have just brought out the new T-7 model, at last it is possible to get the Tormek as a complete kit with everything needed for basic sharpening. It comes with the book, DVD, angle master, horizontal base, universal support and honing paste as usual, plus the latest SE-76 square edge jig in place of the SVH-60. The kit also includes the latest TT-50 truing tool and the SP-650 stone grader all housed in a durable tray.

T7.jpg

The T-7 itself has a number of improvements over previous models namely, improved motor isolation, stainless steel main shaft and improved powder coated finish. Also the horizontal base has also been improved with the addition of an extra locking nut plus the universal support has an improved thread and is now tapped for a safety stop. In addition this all now comes with a seven year warranty, even if used professionally. The list price for the T-7 is £408.99 but you should find it for about £350 once it hits the shops.

The T-7 kit includes the new SE-76 square edge jig, what can I say? WOW, if you already have a Tormek go out and order one now, you won’t be sorry. So what is so special? With the old square edge jig there was a certain amount of trial and error if you wanted to get the edge perfectly square. With the new jig it squares the blade perfectly every time. Even my awkward Japanese chisels were ground perfectly square without any need for adjustment. A further enhancement is that it comes with end stops so that it is easy to move the blade side to side across the stone with no risk of it coming off the edge. This does need the new universal support though to detent in both directions. The SE-76 is due to be available from October, 2007.

NewTormekjig.jpg

Hi Keith,
am I right reading your post the SE-76 requires the new universal support to work correctly?
hows the new tormek working, i personally have the 2006 model, but keeping tools sharp has never been so easy :D
I would assume all the older jigs work with the new universal support?

Hi Neil,

No the new jig will work with the old universal support, the only difference is that the new support is drilled and tapped in the end to take a safety stop. This prevents the blade from coming off the edge of the stone if you get a bit to carried away moving it from side to side whilst sharpening :lol:

You don't really need the stop it's just a nice extra.

And

Yes, the older jigs will work with the new universal support.

Keith

Hi Andy,
I think Keith said it would be available from October`07...but you never know someone may be stocking it now hopefully,....because I feel a purchase coming on :lol:

No sorry you'll have to wait. :roll:

I have warned Tormek that once people realise how good this new jig is they will be inundated with orders for it and they should crank up production.

I sharpened all my chisels in about half the time I would normally spend, it's that good.

It's a rare occurrence when a small piece of aluminium makes a man so happy :lol:

Keith,

Nice work.

I have been waiting for that jig for 10 years having pointed out the standard jig's problems with chisels to Torgny Jansson at an early Axminster show at Shepton Mallet. Have written something for F&C as well as about the Jet Camber jig..........~;-)#

I think Geoff Brown (Brimark) said it would be available soon which may well mean October.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David,

Thanks

I has taken a while I must admit, but they have got it right this time. The only slight problem is that it won't take quite the same thickness of blade as the old jig. Not really a problem unless it is to be used for some particularly hefty mortise chisels, but then the Tormek isn't ideal for sharpening mortise chisels anyway.

Kind regards

Keith

For anyone interested in the T-7, I've just been told Tormek have an unusual special offer running until the 31st December, 2007.

Anyone purchasing said machine will be entitled to claim up to three replacement grindstones free of charge when the stone wears down. For anyone who uses the machine a lot this is a fantastic offer as these stones cost about £90 each!!

Keith,

That is indeed a fantastic offer.

The number of tool kits prepared here is large so we do get through a stone in about 2 years. No normal person would hammer their grinder in this way....

David

David C":3cen07y7 said:
...The number of tool kits prepared here is large so we do get through a stone in about 2 years. No normal person would hammer their grinder in this way...David
Hah...I can go through a stone in 2 months (or less):

Here's one still on the machine:

tormek_0001.jpg

And another I removed and shot a picture...

tormek_0002.jpg

Now...no one should hammer away on their Tormek like I do :lol:

fwiw, the Jet wheels do last longer. Probably not noticable to people with more sense than I have, but in a commercial environment it does make a difference at the end of the year.

Another fwiw...the Jet machine itself cannot work for us. Aside from buying the drive wheels by the dozen (they last a week around here), the motor overheats, the machine is easily stalled, etc.

The Tormek finally went through its first drive wheel. It lasted at least 5 years. We press far harder than I suspect Torgny and crew ever has and for longer periods (about 5 hours a day). The Tormek is worth every penny.

Take care, Mike

Dear Mike,

It is clear that you are totally abnormal in the modern world, as a manufacturer of top quality hand made product in the USA. ~;-)#

Although it is great to see that there are a number of others!

The abuse you give your Tormeks show just how tough these machines are, a fantastic endorsement. Torgny should use your photos as advertising?

best wishes,
David

Keith,

Anyone purchasing said machine will be entitled to claim up to three replacement grindstones free of charge when the stone wears down. For anyone who uses the machine a lot this is a fantastic offer as these stones cost about £90 each!!

I've been interested in a Tormek for a while now (since taking up turning) and have just got a 10% off voucher for Axminster. Coupled with the offer you mention above, it may be an offer too good to resist!

However, I don't see any mention on Axminster's web site of the replacement stone offer. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,
Paul.

Hi Paul

PaulH":1t56l61d said:
However, I don't see any mention on Axminster's web site of the replacement stone offer. Should I be concerned about this?

The new Tormek is not available until October and , I think, the offer is only on for September.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

I thought this was the new model. If so, it looks like an order could be placed now, even if it wasn't delivered until October and hence I would be able to use the Axminster 10% discount offer.

I understood from the posts above that it was the SE-76 jig that wasn't available (separately) until October, 2007, not necessarily the Tormek itself - but I could well be wrong!

Regards,
Paul.

Just wonder if some of these other Tormek clones can take the kind of (ab)use Mike.W seems to put his through....

Ain`t I glad I bought a Tormek :lol:

I would like to clear up any confusion on the T7 offer.

The T7 has an offer that will last until the end of this year with free stones. Clearly there are conditions which I will post at brimarc.com in the next few days.

It is available on any T7 already purchased too.

Stockists websites should be updated soon, however the offer is from Tormek so it does not matter where you get your machine from.

The information on the T7 is on the tormek.se website.

The T7 is in stock at good retailers now.

I apologise if there has been any confusion.

Martin and the BriMarc team

Latest posts

Back