Toothing Plane Bespoke or Antique?....A Comparative Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John. All I can do is forward my own opinion on the subject of toothing plane design. If your views differ from mine then I really have no desire to try and debate the subject further. I also don't plan to lose any sleep worrying over it. . Good luck to you.

regards Stewie;

I think we both agree the wear should not slope backwards! It was suggest earlier in the thread that a toothing plane was a standard coffin plane but with a higher pitch iron with the rest of the plane design being the same, but it seems that is not the case: do old toothing planes have a backward sloping "wear"?

My own feeling is that the mouth width plays a more important role than the height and angle of the (vertical or forward sloping) wear in whether clogging occurs or not.

JohnPW":3nfyrgg1 said:
My own feeling is that the mouth width plays a more important role than the height and angle of the (vertical or forward sloping) wear in whether clogging occurs or not.

It's more complex than that. I've been looking at various reports of toothing plane clogging, and in some cases the shavings (strings?) are just stuck on the blade - it looks like (in some cases) the blade ALONE can clog, regardless of the mouth.

We know that toothing blades come in various DPIs, and we know (as woodworkers) that different timbers have different properties, so we can perhaps add those as factors.

BugBear

jimi43":3lx9lq9g said:
XY..both irons have the same characteristics...in fact..I went out again just for you my friend...and I bet you can guess what I did...

20141209_115110.jpg

...yes...you got it...I swapped the irons as they are the same size!

But at least that puts pay to any tangential wanderings on the iron front.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that put paid to that possible dissimilarity nicely. Well done on a good comparative review, including cracking images of course. =D>
xy

Cheers XY....

I understand that most toothing planes come in 2" variety...so it was fairly easy.

So whatever the reason why the old ones clog and this one doesn't...it's definitely and empirically down to the design of the body and Stewie...you have nailed it mate!

Innovation like your is the reason why we don't all still drive around in Model T Fords!

Cheers

Jim

Back