Tool database

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevM

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want to come across as obsessive, but somewhat chastened by Steve Maskery's recent misfortunes regarding tools taken together with the burglary of a neighbour's shed, I've been considering compiling some kind of database of tools for insurance purposes*. Ideally I'd like to be able to take a photo with my (Android) smartphone/tablet and add it to a database with some annotation, maybe including purchase price** and vendor for warranty purposes. I'd then like to be able to review/edit that database on my PC, so compatibility with Microsoft Access or LibreOffice Base would be high on the list of required features.

Does anybody have any suggestions or experience of specific applications? I've come across a couple of Access templates, and I'm sure there are many apps out there for the phone, but I don't want to invest the effort in creating a database to find myself locked into something that doesn't really work terribly well.

* And to avoid buying yet another box of the same size screws, just because I'm too bone idle to go and rummage through my stock
** I might need to encode the price information to avoid upsetting the banker, :wink:

Hi

Microsoft desktop home inventory may suit you

Home Invent.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Home Invent.png
    Home Invent.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 689
Spindle":1fd4ou2z said:
Hi

Microsoft desktop home inventory may suit you

Regards Mick

Mick, thanks - that's one of the Access templates I came across and looks like my favourite so far, but I'd like a more convenient way of adding photos rather than having to manually add them.

Serif software, I use Page Plus X4 can easily put photo's on a page and a spreadsheet template. :D

It's not answering your question, but your post reminds me that there is a personal property database at immobilise.com where you can upload details of valuable items you own, with pics and serial numbers, so that if they get nicked and recovered, the police know whose they are. Not a database for all your tools, but a good safeguard for expensive power tools, as well as phones, cameras, bikes, computers etc.

AndyT":2bftvxxz said:
It's not answering your question, but your post reminds me that there is a personal property database at immobilise.com where you can upload details of valuable items you own, with pics and serial numbers, so that if they get nicked and recovered, the police know whose they are. Not a database for all your tools, but a good safeguard for expensive power tools, as well as phones, cameras, bikes, computers etc.

That sounds like a thief's dream come true.
Someone hacks the site and they've got a list of what people own and where they are.....
Hmm.....

powertools
This could be done in excel or just about any spread sheet.

KevM
Yes, except Excel is buttocks when it comes to photos

Link your description to a photo using the hyperlink option but make sure your computer uses photoviewer or similar quick loading program as default for viewing otherwise you will wait for ages for something like Photoshop to load.

I use help & Manual, little bit difficult to master but perfect for what you want.

Attachments

• Help & Manual.jpg
    Help & Manual.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 580
Back