Tool and workshop organisation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
Used an old bit of chipboard to create a tool wall. What gets me though is how quickly the space gets used up.

Sounds silly but would I fare better with cupboard and drawers?

EEBB11E9-31D9-4A5C-BB1F-029632CA911C.jpeg

I scrounge as many old kitch cupboards as I can.......
plenty of storage and the right hight for working on small stuff not ness wood items...
always replaced the back panels with 1/2" ply.......

I had a huge workshop in the UK when working and the clients often comentated how well it looked......
all diff styles n colours....
best bit, it's ALL FREE.........
as an add, the higher cupboards had slid out trays on the top shelf and where ever nec....even an extra shelf fitted .......
sure beats making them esp with the cost of ply....

Nothing wrong with both , my work shop is small so every sq “ of wall space is used , my bigger tools have their own little homes to reside in and others are stored in stackable tote boxes ( free curtesy of royal nail ) I also feel that everyday tools should be in plain sight and accessible.

Both definitely seems sensible to me. Having stuff visible and easily grabbable is invaluable for the stuff you need to use regularly, but nothing quite matches the storage density of drawers and cupboards (but they're definitely worth labelling with their contents or they can be where tools go to die).

I wouldn't put clamps on a wall like that by preference as they take up so much space. @Fitzroy's method looks good, or they can be chucked in a bucket or similar on the floor or shoved up on a shelf or whatever. My workshop has wooden joists, so most of my (198 - I counted recently ;)) clamps are clamped to the joists above my head.

I haven't got any photos that show all the clamps on the ceiling, but I think my garage is probably one of the more crammed when it comes to fitting as much in as possible:

1688547226130.png

1688547235826.png

On the left-hand side of the first image, you can just about see one of two bits of plywood hanging from the ceiling above the motorbike (on French cleats attached to joists) to give two more areas for "wall storage" (both sides of the plywood) - maybe clearer in this photo:

1688547432918.png

There's another similar thing that sticks out into the door opening a little (again on a French cleat so it can be lifted off and moved out of the way if necessary):

1688547486931.png

Old office furniture turns up on freecycle now and again. It tends to be very robust! I have a floor to ceiling, lockable tambor (sp) cabinet, with shelves above 3 draws. It neatly take 3 sustainers, side by side. So for my power tools, this makes very convenient, secure storage.

I like racks for clamps but tool chests and tool cabinets for everything else, not a fan of tool walls because of dust and also it's too easy to drop them onto a concrete floor.

I like racks for clamps but tool chests and tool cabinets for everything else, not a fan of tool walls because of dust and also it's too easy to drop them onto a concrete floor.
Not entirely rational I know but I hate tools hung on the wall, drives me round the bend. All mine are in cabinets. Especially in a wood shop, how do you keep everything from being covered in dust?

Old office furniture turns up on freecycle now and again. It tends to be very robust! I have a floor to ceiling, lockable tambor (sp) cabinet, with shelves above 3 draws. It neatly take 3 sustainers, side by side. So for my power tools, this makes very convenient, secure storage.
My dad had a really damp garage / workshop. One wall was a retaining wall for an earth bank. He repurposed a couple of old freezers for some tools. Quite well insulated and sealed...

Back