Tomorrow......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ankledeep

Established Member
Reaction score
I brave the "Beast"... earlier in the year i purchased an Axminster WS1000TA Spindle Moulder and it has been sitting there grinning evilly at me ever since.....Well today i managed to afford a moulding block and 2 sets of cutters and limiters to go therin, a simple flat cutter which should do the small..(.ish) tennons i have a requirement for and a uhm......sort of multi V grove job for edge glueing boards. Now i have a power feeder and would anticipate that using it will not be too??? unlike using a router table...except with considerably more umph. SO....why are my bum cheeks clenching so????...

Anyone care to offer advice to some one confident enough to dive in...but smart enough to be nervous. (well scared sh*tless actually) of the big white monster......Oh and yes....I HAVE read the manual...fat lot of use it is when it comes to actually USING satan's own shredder.......

Roller feed, check everything's tight and spin cutter using just hand to make sure it doesn't hit anything.

Well it sounds like you've got the right kit, just makes sure it's set up correctly ,make use of a sacrificial fence where possible and crack on, Glad to hear you've got a power feed.

ankledeep":zr48o703 said:
I brave the "Beast"... earlier in the year i purchased an Axminster WS1000TA Spindle Moulder and it has been sitting there grinning evilly at me ever since.....Well today i managed to afford a moulding block and 2 sets of cutters and limiters to go therin, a simple flat cutter which should do the small..(.ish) tennons i have a requirement for and a uhm......sort of multi V grove job for edge glueing boards. Now i have a power feeder and would anticipate that using it will not be too??? unlike using a router table...except with considerably more umph. SO....why are my bum cheeks clenching so????...

Anyone care to offer advice to some one confident enough to dive in...but smart enough to be nervous. (well scared sh*tless actually) of the big white monster......Oh and yes....I HAVE read the manual...fat lot of use it is when it comes to actually USING satan's own shredder.......
Being cautious is wise, but using such a machine when not confident it how accidents happen. You need to feel confident and have all possible safe guards in place before using it.

:? Its only an over-sized router table, treat it with the same respect that all machinery should be treat with and you'll be fine.
most of the danger was in the old style blocks and is not an issue now

ankledeep":3v1rse7n said:
Karl":3v1rse7n said:
Where in cheshire are you?

Just outside of crewe

My workshop is in Northwich. If you're interested I can show you the basics which I have picked up. I've also got a DVD which demo's some of the basics which you are welcome to borrow (it's a bit jumpy (read scratched) in places, but still watchable).

Cheers

Karl

Well...today i manged to get power sorted to satans shredder, and even fit the knives and limiters into the block the right way round. Not something that is possible to get wrong.....so I was told....yeah right ...THAT depends on which way you are spinning the spinny bit.....and THAT depends on which end you are feeding the monster from......unlike dogs and cats , it appears spindle moulders can be fed from either end for some reason or another.
Me, I'll stick to feeding right to left as in a normal sane world that is the logic of it and everything else on the beast seems predicated to that. spun it up and.....satsifying hum , no knocks screeches or bumps....so far so good....
block fitted and bolt tightened...DO i tighten it just a bit...till it squeaks...till it screams...hmmmm...... ok ...I'll tighten it until it feels tight enough...you know that tightness that feels just right (if you dont know that feeling...you havn't tightened enough nuts and bolts.) who needs a torque wrench? Interesting though...the top most washer...the one with the wings on that engage with the slot in the spindle, is held somewhat above the top of the spindle if you fit the apparantly required amount of spacers.... then I thinks...DOH ...dummy...of course it is..otherwise it wouldnt be able to squeeze down and trap the block securely. Power feed set up and ready to roll. THEN .......SWMBO shouts me for tea.....and thats it for the day....AND I'm banned from making a noise on Sundays for some reason...not withstanding that the neighbours will be out in force with lawn mowers/strimmers/ etc......OH well...

Karl...thanks for that ....PM sent

Don't Panic (sorry, the [Large Friendly Letters] markup doesn't seem to work :p )

Seriously though, with a fence and where appropriate jigs and/or guard above the cutter it will be safe even hand fed; just keep your composure, and if you feel unhappy at and point, just ram your knee into the stop button, take the workpiece away from the cutter, and let yourself take a breath...

If you're able to, take any and all offers of skilled advice/demonstration/training!

I have been in the same position as you when I bought my first spindle moulder. Karl was kind enough to loan me his DVD and I also bought a book on using the machine safely. I didn't have a power feed and indeed still don't but as has been stated if you use it with all of the guards in place and a little common sense you should be fine. I now have a bigger machine and am quite confident in using it. got to admit though that the thought of using it freehand with a ring fence or bearings still puts the willies up me. :shock: :lol:

Karl
Many thanks for your time this morning and the loan of the CD.
the beast is now up and running and, having seen yours in action I am much more confident at the prospect of using it.

Latest posts

Back