To froe or not to froe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield Tony":2xviuuam said:
For what it's worth, a recent thread on the bodgers forum discussed froes, and a contributer (Gavin) who has several preferred the Gransfors Bruk froe to either the Ray Iles or Bristol design ones.

BTW, what happens to all the old froes ? Never seem to see them on eBay ?
How about this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-froe-bl ... 233c919153

Regards Keith

I have bought froes on Ebay.fr but the problem is the postage costs from France which can exceed the cost of the article. (A froe is 'un departoir' in French)

Ah yes, good thought. I have some Goldenberg tools which I get on with quite well. I rather like the French style draw knife.

Good place to look for a "herminette" too.

Has anyone ever heard of a real actual case welded froe failing in use?

We've been selling them for years, with a life warranty, and I've yet to hear of a single instance of failure.

There is a departoir on Ebay.fr at the moment. See Departoir de Tonnelier priced at €33.55 inc postage, about £26.60

AndyT":3ltlu40w said:
Also, Bristol Design have a line of newly made froes as part of their green woodwork tools. I'll check the price when I'm next in there.
As usual, last time I passed by, they were closed.

This was probably a good thing. Actually going through the door invariably causes a sharp pain in the back pocket at the time, which reaches to both ears on arrival home (if I get caught).

Anyway, they had a couple of different-sized froe heads in the window.
I had to explain to the chap standing next to me (also window shopping) why I'd just burst out laughing.

They are not inexpensive. Probably not froe me, in fact.

E.

PS: Land Rovers up to & including Series III have leaf springs, and do occasionally break them when off-roading.
It might be worth finding a local 4x4 club and asking...

AndyT":2ab6dpqo said:
Also, Bristol Design have a line of newly made froes as part of their green woodwork tools. I'll check the price when I'm next in there.

Small size (I'd guess about 6" blade) £15.50; larger size (about 10") £29.95. These are newly made, without handles (presumably most green woodworkers will be able to put their hands on a suitable bit of ash at no cost!)

Sorry for the slow service, but I am trying to make an impression on my To Do list!

If I was defaming Bristol Design, I apologise at once!

It happens occasionally that I get very confused, so it must have been someone else's that was rather more than that, pricewise.

Jolly pleased with the 1/4" and 1/8" chisels that, er, someone bought at the week-end though. Charles let me rifle through a couple of boxes of them and pick three nice ones :)

Er, I meant someone else. I was confused.

E.

matthewwh":1437ti8y said:
Has anyone ever heard of a real actual case welded froe failing in use?

We've been selling them for years, with a life warranty, and I've yet to hear of a single instance of failure.

I have searched a few threads on the bodgers' forum, and although a preference for the stronger forged eye is oft repeated, it seems true that there is a lack of actual evidence for it. I suspect you are right Matthew, and that the handle probably breaks first.

Latest posts

Back