Spent sometime in the ws again yesterday. I've got a 5.25 x5.25 mtrs garage turned over to just a workshop and that is really not enough room, just see the problem below when I wanted to get to my timber store. The piece of timber I wanted was of course at the very bottom again. Don't you find that as well. So I pull out machinery in the way.
and it gets worse,
So anyone building a shed here in the UK go for something bigger.
Got this so called piece of African Mahogany board out (which I had found sometime ago in a merchants yard on his rubbish pile) and cut of a 20 inch length.
In addition I changed the paper patterns, and used a piece of ply to use for the router format pattern.
Put the mahogany to the planer, thicknesser and bandsaw.
The timber ready but the router former is not.
Decided to put some holding handles on the former, connect the handles with some 9mm dowelling and glued.
Been out of the WS for 36 hours, weather again dampening my eagerness.
Fitted up the first former with some double sided carpet tape and attached the timber piece (front and end of one side) . This is a variation of an Aussie member who suggested a jig involving clamps but made my variation as pictured. This is the lower portion of the box to be.
Selected a straight cutter with a bearing. This set was purchased at a wood show some years ago at around £3 per bit.
Set it up on my router table as photo.
The end result of this operation.
The upper portion of carcass gave me something to think about! I was in the process of changing the bandsaw blade again and then the grey matter came into action and I went and found the cut off section from the first former. Fitted a couple of safety handles and ready for another session today. And then that FIT!
A difficult day, the upper portions played me up. Hogging off the waste at the router table the timber cracked and broke off and the piece was ruined. Fortunately I had a spare sawn piece still hanging around and this time I roughly cut to shape using a jig saw first.
All pieces now shaped, the lighter colour timbers have sawn faces (the piece that cracked) but hopefully they will come right later when I sand or thickness all to same dimensions.
The contrasting insert were fitted next, this was the easy way, just pull together in the vice, but they would not sit flat.
So went back to the previous method, a screwed hold down one end and clamp pulling the other end together, etc..
Thats the two long faces glued up.
The short ends today, however they have got tighter reverse curves, so I might have to do some kerfing!
So I have made a plain maple box and will fit the laminated top instead.
The above took me only a few minutes to put in the slider rebates and mitre the corners because the maple boards were already prepared and sized at the beginning of ~April.
The problem with the patterned sides was caused by not having a decent former, this came about because the first (lower section) was cut on the bandsaw and corrections made with sanding to some of the faces. This meant that the high pieces would not match what had been lost through that sanding. I think the patterned formers would be better made on a scroll saw and no adjustments made after cutting.
The laminated top is cleaning up quite nicely,I used the hand plane at first to create a reasonably flat surface and then held my breath putting it through the thicknesser a few times and got a very distinctly patterned surface. ( I think something similar could make an attractive occasional table top or other)
The two sections measure up quite well but not regards the matching of stripes because they were glued up randomly.
Made some mouldings to encase the patterned top, this is in the development stage so changes might still take place!
And made these spare parts for future use on the way.
Lamination waste resawn.
around 6mm thick.
And whilst awaiting top lid to set I started the three little beauties.
This one on the end has problems, the mitre keeps breaking when passed over the tablesaw, so I have glued up normally and then cut out the corners on the router table, contrast banding will be fitted to hopefully cure the problem.
If you are referring to the roundover.; There is a bearing wheel on the bit, plus on external edges the fence comes into play and the edge always runs parallel to the fence without going in the gap. (The bit is halfway in the fence)
If you are referring to my attempt to make the carcass with those twisted contrast strips, its was a nightmare and had to ditch the operation and put on a plain carcass for the laminated top.
Yes Tony it was a disaster, the cutter dug in at those deep areas and then there were grain direction problems along the route. ( I did cut a lot of the waste away on the bandsaw when I discovered the problem)
I attempted to clean up the cut with a round sander and although the cut looked good, the other matching half would not match the pattern because timber had been lost on the starting piece.
So if I had another go I would use a router on the carcass and then inlay a pattern perhaps.