timber getting in western australia (video)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find Col, very interesting and enjoyable.
Would I be the only one who'd love a go at that for a few days ?
I wonder what the forest looks like today.

n0legs":3a7u17mk said:
I wonder what the forest looks like today.

I lived in Western Australia for about 5yrs recently and used to go down to the South West where all the big forests are.
I can confirm the forests cover a huge expanse and the Karri trees are the biggest I've ever seen - truely something to see to be believed.
I also know that the joiners and roofers have to use a nail gun as the timber is so hard the nails just bend - unless you drill a pilot hole !
Well worth a visit to that area if you ever go to Oz.
Add bonus is lots of wineries in those areas too !

A couple of years ago there was an outcry in aus when a piece of karri was taken from a log at a lumber yard by a green activist and carbon dated at over 600 years old. The log and many others stockpiled with it were allegedy destined to be chipped and sent to china for using in the production of high quality glossy paper despite there being a ban in effect in aus at the time on logging mature native trees. I must admit the thought of cutting one of those giants down from the world's only sizable Karri forest and chipping it for paper production is pretty sickening.

Latest posts

Back