Tick Tock My Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Made this for the eldest s desk at work to go with the pen holder

Tulip wood , sanded to 600 , sanding sealer and wax

Small mahogany plug in the back , as I went to deep with the screw chuck :oops:

Cut a thin slice 10 degrees off the bottom , making sure not to cut into the front and spoil the round shape

I wanted the minimalistic look to let the wood do the talking , had to be light wood to fit in with the office décor

I am pleased with the finished item , and will do the hand over at lunch time

Taking Lorraine out for munch :p

114_1412.jpg

114_1413.jpg

114_1414.jpg

Hope you like it :wink:

I agree with Kevin's comment too Blister... and I actually like the dark plug in the back.... gives it a sense that something mechanical has been precision-engineered within that body. 8)

I've had a couple of go's with tulipwood to make bowls, and I think to date, (since last november just ), its been my favourite wood to work on, I thought it turned really nicely, and the pieces I had contained a 'greenish colured banding', which I thought was nice.. although i've no idea if this is 'normal' with it.

The clock's cool. That'll go down well with the receiver, I'm sure
8) 8) 8) 8)

Blister,

Presumably the "tulipwood" came from a poplar tree? I've tried a couple of pieces of poplar and have to say that I wasn't that keen (mostly due to it's low density).

Dod

Wanlock Dod":39o5i6q6 said:
Blister,

Presumably the "tulipwood" came from a poplar tree? I've tried a couple of pieces of poplar and have to say that I wasn't that keen (mostly due to it's low density).

Dod

Hi , I think its known as American Whitewood ?

I like the clock Blister, very chic.

On the subject of wood, (and here I become the dreaded 'anorak', but I did study horticulture/silviculture albeit a loooooong time ago). There is a tulip tree (Liriodendron), which is also known as the American whitewood, it is also sometimes known as the 'yellow poplar', but it is not true poplar (populus). The populus family of trees is quite large, includes , aspen, cottonwood and whitewood and for some perverse reason is sometimes known as a tulip tree!!!

Far be it for me as a beginer to comment on the quaities of woods for turning, suffice to say that Liriodendron is used for a variety of purposes including carving and turning, whereas the main use of Populus woods is for making match sticks!!

So, to conclude;

Liriodedron= Tulip Tree, also known as American whitewood and yellow poplar.

Populus= Aspen, cottonwood, whitewood etc, also known as tulip tree
:? :? :? :? :? :? :?
[/i]

The poplar I had looked very much the same, although I can't be sure that it was actually from a truly native tree, but it had grown in Lincs.

Latest posts

Back