Thumb screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod

Its milled from a single piece of 3/4" brass round bar. I did consider making the head and then tapping and fixing a threaded rod into it, as Wayne Anderson suggested, but I was not sure if I would get a good enough connection between the 2 due to the depth of the head (8mm). I'm sure this works fine if you are an experienced machinist but I was not sure I could carry it off.

The downside of the way I did it is that it is a bit wasteful on material as you are turning away quite a bit of what you paid for. I had a bit of a shock on the price of brass - I paid £18 inc VAT for 500mm of 3/4" round bar. I don't know if this is the going rate or not but it seemed expensive to me.

I think I need a bit more prototyping before mass production starts, but I wouldn't rule it out at some point!

Cheers, Ed.

I wonder if you can get threaded brass rods ( My Norm's Deck Chair fittings from Rockler - see thread in Projects - comes with 2 lengths of 1/4" threaded bar)?
Then you would only have to mill the head and silver solder/glue together?

Rod

Why not use brass bolts? Already threaded so you only need to round and knurl the head.

OK, one last post on this then I'll shut up about thumbscrews.

I have now equipped my marking gauges with brass thumbscrews, which makes them look a whole lot better but also slightly improves their function as it is easier to tighten fully and make adjustments.

2618278721_5106222b85.jpg

I started this post thinking that someone would come along with a website I had missed that sold the exact thing I was looking for. That didn't really happen but as a result I've actually ended up a lot further on, having acquired machinery and skills I didn't have at the start of this thread. Thinking about it, thats how I got started in making furniture in the first place as I either couldn't find or afford the things I wanted, so I made them myself. I'm quite pleased to have applied this approach again here with something I couldn't find elsewhere.

Anyway, just off to register the domain www.brassthumbscrews.com.....(only joking)

Cheers, Ed

Latest posts

Back