Threaded thingy whatsit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can also be called threaded inserts. Used to repair threaded holes that have been stripped; e.g. in engine blocks.
I think! :D

The more I think about it I am wondering if this is actually the right solution. I have a leg for a table, and I wanted to put a thread in it, and then screw in a bolt that has a big rubber handle thingy on the end, to use as an adjustable foot.

A threaded insert nut would be an alternative, but I am concerned about how much the course thread would split the end grain of the wood.

Can anyone suggest a good course of action ?

Thanks

J

I have a box of those things (the ones on the German site)

They are smooth cylinders which I have in two sizes...one end of the cylinder has a threaded hole and the other end is split and tapered slightly out so you can punch them in a plain hole and they don't come out again.

If you want a few of these PM me your address and I will send you some.

I can measure them or take a picture if this sounds like the thing you are looking for.

Jim

I'd rig up something from a suitable diameter bolt or threaded rod and a nut, epoxied in. The nut in one component, and the bolt in the other. You'd need a clearance hole beyond the nut, of course.
HTH

It's not a threaded insert but a threaded sleeve (in English). Loads of them here (Switzerland is primarily German-speaking).

Any problems getting them in UK, tell me what thread you want (if it's Metric) and what material & finish (presumably plated steel) and I can easily send you somne by post.

PM me if needed.

Krgds
AES

Togalosh":3ozuwyuy said:
..are you looking to fit an adjustable foot to level your table? .. if so something like this?

http://oxfordhardware.co.uk/khxc/ccp0-p ... FM8TG.html

in a captured bolt or sleeve.... I've thought to use this but replace the plastic foot with matching wood or some such camoflage.

They are intended for 25mm metal speedframe often used on office desks and furniture.
I've just used 4 this week when making a new cupboard unot for my welder and accessories. The plastic insert is about 22mm square and expands when the foot (or castor) is inserted.

Bob

Lons":d2bnbqxm said:
Togalosh":d2bnbqxm said:
..are you looking to fit an adjustable foot to level your table? .. if so something like this?

http://oxfordhardware.co.uk/khxc/ccp0-p ... FM8TG.html

in a captured bolt or sleeve.... I've thought to use this but replace the plastic foot with matching wood or some such camoflage.

They are intended for 25mm metal speedframe often used on office desks and furniture.
I've just used 4 this week when making a new cupboard unot for my welder and accessories. The plastic insert is about 22mm square and expands when the foot (or castor) is inserted.

Bob

Yes..but they could be used in a wooden table leg if need be (but not with the plastic insert obviously)...better than a bolt in the sleeve as was the OP's thoughts (I think)

Yes..but they could be used in a wooden table leg if need be (but not with the plastic insert obviously)...better than a bolt in the sleeve as was the OP's thoughts (I think)

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work!

Wasn't disagreeing, just co-incidence that i was using some the day before you posted (and we used to sell them as part of the Dexion speedframe range - which is why I have a few).

cheers

Bob

Lons":3qwk1ed9 said:

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work!

Wasn't disagreeing, just co-incidence that i was using some the day before you posted (and we used to sell them as part of the Dexion speedframe range - which is why I have a few).

cheers

Bob

My appologies Bod if I sounded tetchy..didn't mean to.

I did a post a while back about a cheap way to do this using a pronged Tee nut and a coach bolt. I've got them in end-grain (turned legs), with 6mm bolts for small furniture and 8mm for larger. There's no tendency to split the grain as the forces are along it. It also works in MDF/chipboard but you have to be careful about drilling just enough depth/width and no more - both materials are denser and stronger nearer the faces of the board than in the middle and have a tendency to split - the more 'meat' you leave, the better.

The idea works with rubber footed ends, and you can quickly make them adjustable from above, if the design allows this. I prefer plain coachbolt heads, as they let the furniture settle itself in place and don't 'stick' to one spot in the floor, thus stressing the furniture joints. Yes they do mark (well, dent) carpets, but to my mind that's better than splitting a cupboard leg or something.

I should have confessed earlier: the design is adapted from the feet fitted to Ikea wardrobes.

If anyone wants me, I'm out by the compost heap hanging my head in shame. :oops:

E.

Latest posts

Back