Thin Plywood Source

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hubby found a sawmill out at Belbroughton near Stourbridge last week and ordered us some fence panels for about half the price of our local retailer. When he told me about this, I trotted over there and had a chat with the mill owner. Although most of his products are pine, his daughter makes theatrical sets. Since these sets have to be moved on stage, they must be as light as possible. For this reason, she uses thin plywood boards. Now, it isn't Baltic Birch Ply, but I thought £11 for a full size 4mm board was worth a punt so I ordered two. After all, B&Q, Focus et al would have charged an awful lot more and the quality would be guaranteed to be iffy. They were delivered (free of charge) yesterday along with the fence panels, and look to be pretty decent quality.

I mention this for two reasons. Firstly, anyone who lives near Belbroughton might want to check out the source for themselves. Secondly, if you are on good terms with a nearby theatre, you might be able to negotiate some of their plywood.

Nice! How many layers in the 4mm stuff? The birch ply I have at 4mm seems to be only three layers anyway - two birch faces and a thicker core. The 6mm stuff I have has more layers as you would traditionally expect from birch ply. No knots in the 4mm and no dutchmen either, although the 6mm has an occasional one which I tend to discard unless its subsequently painted or hidden in some way.

Steve.

Only three layers, Steve. The core layer seems to be pretty thin. At £11 per board I wouldn't be unhappy to find dutchmen in the sheet. After all, they're easy enough to cut around and they tend not to be critical when dimensioning timber for scroll saw projects. I'm just hoping there aren't a lot of voids.

I hope to cut them later - right now I can hardly get into my workshop for two plywood boards that are taking up all the space :lol: .

i bought some thin ply from a local builders merchant and it was 3 ply too, but on the inside it was this soft foamy like stuff and it breaks away easily so i will not be buying that again.

StevieB":2ra67hk9 said:
Nice! How many layers in the 4mm stuff? The birch ply I have at 4mm seems to be only three layers anyway - two birch faces and a thicker core. The 6mm stuff I have has more layers as you would traditionally expect from birch ply. No knots in the 4mm and no dutchmen either, although the 6mm has an occasional one which I tend to discard unless its subsequently painted or hidden in some way.

Steve.

Silly question time, knots in wood I understand, BUT dutchmen I aint got a clue, please define dutchmen (beginner so lost with jargon) thanks :)

Zanda":mlg9jth0 said:
please define dutchmen (beginner so lost with jargon) thanks :)

people who live in holland ;) :D

that aside its patches on the layers of plywood , ie that rather than being made up of one continuous sheet it is patched with small bits where defects have been found - for a lot of ply applications it doesnt matter but its not good in scroll work as can lead to bits breaking away.

no idea why these are called dutchmen tho

big soft moose":ce21hs50 said:
Zanda":ce21hs50 said:
please define dutchmen (beginner so lost with jargon) thanks :)

people who live in holland ;) :D

that aside its patches on the layers of plywood , ie that rather than being made up of one continuous sheet it is patched with small bits where defects have been found - for a lot of ply applications it doesnt matter but its not good in scroll work as can lead to bits breaking away.

no idea why these are called dutchmen tho

Cheers BSM

Hi Gill,

When you say full size board what size is that? Coomers do a 1220mm square board in 4mm for about £8 + vat. Just wondering how that compares?

Of course it is local for me so that makes a big difference

regards
Sean

Latest posts

Back