The Ugliest Plane on the Planet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Too true, but purfling gauges/gramills and double bladed Japanese knives or purfling cutters are so much easier on the eye.

The nice thing with a purfling gauge is that it's good with a double blade or fine scratch tool to handle different grains and wood hardness.

From a violin makers perspective I can’t imagine how on earth that intriguing contraption could possibly be of any help cutting a purfling channel on a violin…….even more intriguing is that someone was prepared to spend $84.77 on what looks so ugly and useless………:)

My thought was that the 'gouge' must be honed with a vertical bezel to use as a scratch, with just the lip of the gouge-holding excresence on the edge of the plate. How on earth you could manouver it around the 'C' shaped waist without running afoul of the arching I don't know.

Don't forget whoever made that had easy access to casting facilities, so it probably wasn't made BY a luthier.

Mind you, it's too damn ugly to have been made by a pattern maker.

BugBear

I just can't decide which my favourite quote from this thread so far. The first covers so many of life's eventualities, and yet the second has such charm... :-k

dunbarhamlin":y9ec4t2a said:
Must admit, I was slightly tempted, but then I cleaned my glasses.
Vormulac":y9ec4t2a said:
True, but when a man's gotta Purfle, a man's gotta Purfle.

It is well known (or ought to be by now) that Phil excells in all things planey
DSCF6367.jpg

Now that's what I call ugly. Sorry Phil but the truth must out.

Awww....Nick! :oops:
I really need to delete any embarressing pictures of mine :lol:
And yes, you are right - she's not a pretty plane. It was an exercise in trying a different grip. Needless to say, our forefathers have tried most possible variations and the ones we see in old lanes are there because they work.
Lesson learned........again :lol:
Off to the woodburner.........
Phil :D
tote2.jpg

No, don't burn it! Just think of the pain/pleasure it will give the Alfs of the 22nd century. :lol:

"A very early model. Of course that was before he went into production full time, starting the mega-corporation we know as PhilCo, and forcing the long fogotten Lie Nielsen into bankruptcy..."

Back