Teak/Iroko question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bremner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a job to do for a customer which originally required me to make a lutyens style garden bench from solid teak with a round plaque on the back with the customers design cut in. Sounded good at first until I researched how much teak cost and had to have a lie down to get over the shock!
Whilst I was looking for the teak I came across lutyens benches made from solid teak costing far, far less than what I could buy the timber for, so I contacted the customer and let him decide between me making the bench, at great cost or buying a ready made bench and customising it to receive the plaque.
Wisely he decided that customising a ready made bench made more financial sense and now here is the problem, I can't find a suitable piece of teak to make the plaque from at a decent price, hardwood suppliers are very thin on the ground in Greater Manchester and internet prices seem very, very high for such a small piece. The size I need is around an inch thick and about 14 inches square or 3 pieces 5 inches wide by 14 inches so I can glue up to make the size I require.
The piece is eventually going to be engraved using a friends CNC and then I'll mount it to the back rest of the bench.
I've read that iroko is sometimes mistaken for teak but I've also read that teak fades to grey with age and iroko browns with age?!? Would I get away with substituting the teak with iroko?
Any suggestions of where I can pick up some suitable pieces would be appreciated, I've tried eBay but it looks like joe bloggs gets a slab of hardwood and assumes its worth hundreds of pounds, some workshops are selling offcuts but they are to small or to thin.

Cheers, Andy.

Can't help with the teak but iroko turns a silvery grey if left to weather naturally.

Coley

Iroko can be pale when freshly planed but quickly darkens to a mid brown indoors. Outdoors it will go the way of most timbers and end up silvery grey. I have Iroko garden furniture with no finish on that is grey.

I bought my iroko as 6 or 7" sawn boards about 1" thick. I think it came from Lathams.

hth
Bob

Just seen this, may be able to help as have a fair bit of teak in the stash. Problem would be postage - that stuff is dense.

Gve me until tomorrow evening to get back from work and have a furgle.

Sam

Thanks for all your replies fellas.

If you can dig out what I need Sam I'd rather give you the money than some chancer on eBay, I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy, got back late, so no photos, but....2 pieces, both basic machined (planed) to PAR. Both 7" wide, 36.5" and 36"; shorter one 1" thick, longer one 0.75" thick. I can cut either to 28" and I can use the offcuts, or I can leave whole for you to play with. Cost, weight and postage I can advise on tomorrow with small size photos for email (kB not MB).

Right now, just recovering from short, but intense, 6 hour working day, then radiotherapy for the Missus, followed by the traffic jam from 'The Italian Job' (first edition). I don't even have the strength to go just up the way to see if they've got a bottle of Headless Dog left. So, apologies for the basic reply, back refreshed tomorrow.

Sam

SammyQ":1l2ejxg7 said:
Hi Andy, got back late, so no photos, but....2 pieces, both basic machined (planed) to PAR. Both 7" wide, 36.5" and 36"; shorter one 1" thick, longer one 0.75" thick. I can cut either to 28" and I can use the offcuts, or I can leave whole for you to play with. Cost, weight and postage I can advise on tomorrow with small size photos for email (kB not MB).

Right now, just recovering from short, but intense, 6 hour working day, then radiotherapy for the Missus, followed by the traffic jam from 'The Italian Job' (first edition). I don't even have the strength to go just up the way to see if they've got a bottle of Headless Dog left. So, apologies for the basic reply, back refreshed tomorrow.

Sam

Thank you for getting back to me Sam, the 7" x 36" x 1" would be absolutely perfect! if you could lop it in half making two pieces 7" x 18" x 1" that should make the postage a little cheaper. Just get back to me whenever you can mate there no rush you've obviously got a lot on your plate.

Cheers, Andy

Bremner":2kmjszrs said:
Hello,

Whilst I was looking for the teak I came across lutyens benches made from solid teak costing far, far less than what I could buy the timber for

Have you checked that they're really teak, and not "something like teak", which might well be Iroko?

BugBear

I bought a couple of lutyens benches last week sold to me as teak. They were £200 each and I'm happy with them. They ain't teak though probably Iroko.
(I knew this before I bought them).

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bremner":26agw9jt said:
Got your PM Sam, I'll call you soon.

If I'm being honest guys if it is iroko I wouldn't know the difference and I'm almost positive my customer won't.

Its advertised as teak, this is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... S4ZXB7DV30

Cheers, Andy.

£174. Good luck to anybody trying to undercut that! :shock:

BugBear

This is it Andy; postage etc via PM in next few mins.

Sam

DSC01822.JPG

DSC01822.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01822.JPG
    DSC01822.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01824.JPG
    DSC01824.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 67
Bremner":3r3pe0ms said:
Got your PM Sam, I'll call you soon.

If I'm being honest guys if it is iroko I wouldn't know the difference and I'm almost positive my customer won't.

Its advertised as teak, this is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... S4ZXB7DV30

Cheers, Andy.

I have sat on one of those or something similar and the quality is appalling, the thing was falling apart, its only strong enough to support its self.

Still its probably easy to move about not having much wood to weight it down.

Pete

Back