table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayman

Reaction score
hello to all i have been thinking about getting me a table saw and i just want to see what you guys think the saw is

SIP 250mm Table Saw 230V
Catalogue p26Power input 1500w, 2.0 Hp motor
Blade size 250mm, 16mm bore
Accurate quick lock rip fence, mitre guide & push stick
2 side extension and 1 rear extension table supplied as standard
Large die cast aluminium table.
Includes built in dust extraction facility, see through blade guard and rise and fall tilting arbor.Stand sold separately (Code 18426).

Hi Jayman,

Welcome to the forum.
Quite a few members have SIP saws and seem generally to praise them.
Not sure if they have the same as you propose as I thought their SIPs had cast iron tables but I can't be sure.

If you use the search facility built in at the top of the page and search for SIP and your model number then you should find some comments.

Good luck

Bob

Sip should be paying us commission!

As Bob says the 01332 is a well regarded saw. Try the search function and you will find loads and loads of threads praising it. Go for it, you will be impressed.

Welcome, by the way. Please stick around and join in. We always welcome new members as some of the old ones get a bit boring :wink: :D

jayman":2sdxl10x said:
hello to all i have been thinking about getting me a table saw and i just want to see what you guys think the saw is

SIP 250mm Table Saw 230V
Catalogue p26Power input 1500w, 2.0 Hp motor
Blade size 250mm, 16mm bore
Accurate quick lock rip fence, mitre guide & push stick
2 side extension and 1 rear extension table supplied as standard
Large die cast aluminium table.
Includes built in dust extraction facility, see through blade guard and rise and fall tilting arbor.Stand sold separately (Code 18426).

Welcome to the forum Jayman.

Tom I do not think that he is talking about the 01332 because it does not have a see through blade guard, you do not get the rear extension as standard, and the stand is included and not sold separately.

(homer) #-o In which case, if it's the small table top one, forget it. Most of SIP's range is cheap imported fisher price type rubbish and that saw falls into that category. They got lucky with the 01332 and it's bigger brother. But the smaller cheap tablesaw is like a toy. Steer well clear, avoid like the plague, resist purchasing, etc, etc.

I'm afraid that there does not exist a table saw in that price bracket that is worth having. My advice is to keep saving until you can afford a better TS (like the 01332) or invest in a bandsaw, which will do alsmost everything that a TS will do, take up less space and in most cases will be a bit cheaper.

wizer":2bifharh said:
(homer) #-o In which case, if it's the small table top one, forget it. Most of SIP's range is cheap imported fisher price type rubbish and that saw falls into that category. They got lucky with the 01332 and it's bigger brother. But the smaller cheap tablesaw is like a toy. Steer well clear, avoid like the plague, resist purchasing, etc, etc.

I'm afraid that there does not exist a table saw in that price bracket that is worth having. My advice is to keep saving until you can afford a better TS (like the 01332) or invest in a bandsaw, which will do alsmost everything that a TS will do, take up less space and in most cases will be a bit cheaper.

I think he means the 01321, and if this is the case then as Tom says forget it.

Here we go http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... edium=ncpc

Cheers

Mike

This small table saw issue is really a thorny one.

If a beginner is limited on space or budget there is a natural attraction to these small cheap saws but as many of those who have bought them soon get to find out they are far from ideal.
However, it would be wrong to discourage and enthusiastic beginner from getting into woodwork if a decent saw is unattainable for some reason.

If budget is the constraint then a secondhand but quality machine is quite likely to be the way to go. If space is the driver then buying the least worst small saw would be best.
Such a machine is likely to need fettling to sort out the problems for example as Tom has been doing in the last few days.
So second hand or new? Buying new does at least get you a warranty and even the possibility of sending it back but the warranty goes out the window if it has been modified. Buying second hand - provided the motor is good, again might be a cost effective solution.

Maybe a second hand TS200 could be the answer as thanks to Tom, we can read what modifications can be done a how to do them.

Hope this has helped Jayman and not confused you. It does rather seem to me that the SIP you are looking at is possibly not a good buy.

Bob

9fingers":1261mkwf said:
However, it would be wrong to discourage and enthusiastic beginner from getting into woodwork if a decent saw is unattainable for some reason.

I agree totally bob, my saw has its foibles but I've made some really nice stuff I think with it so they aren't worthless.

Despite Chems experience, I rather think the very cheap tablesaws are off putting to the beginner. My first TS was a Ferm and the bloody thing scared the life out of me. I put it back in the box and it lived in the shed for a couple of years until I sold it (at a profit, oddly) and bought a Triton Work Centre. The cheaper saw can't really be fettled well enough to make them a viable option. In my opinion the Axminster TS200 is the cheapest tablesaw that's any good. Out of the box, most people are happy with this saw and it will serve well for a beginners first few projects. My modifications are in the extreme and it's only because (don't laugh) I feel I'm over my 'beginner' stage and I want a well setup saw. There would be a natural progression for a beginner to get a bigger saw. But I can't afford the space in my workshop, so I'm trying my darnedest to get the TS200 just the way I want it. The 'serious' beginner who wasn't scared of getting their hands dirty, could well buy an old Startrite on eBay which could be restored to be a machine which the owner would be content with for many years, if not forever. But most beginners are looking for a cheap, quick solution. So my advice stands, that the money should be saved until a TS200 can be afforded OR buy a bandsaw for 250-300 which will serve well and are much better at the cheap end of the scale than tablesaws IMO.

9fingers":2eh4wx9z said:
If budget is the constraint then a secondhand but quality machine is quite likely to be the way to go. If space is the driver then buying the least worst small saw would be best.

i'd certainly be inclined to look second hand - coincidentally i had a look on the 'bay last night and there are loads, varying from cheap ones like this sip at 20 odd notes (which at that price may be worth it if you cant get owt better) through to decent old lumps of cast iron for arround 100-200 notes - a couple of which i bid on, (actually through to several wadkins that were closer to 700 but i realise that these are out of jaymans price range)

jayman - i would suggest getting hold of this months copy of british woodworking which has a decent article on tablesaws and how to make the best of even a cheaper one

thanks for your replys guy what do you think about clarke table saws???
what table saws do you think are the best at buget cost

jayman":jwtzfwr1 said:

I think you haven't bothered to read the replies...

I would not go for the Clarke table saw Jayman they are also rubbish. Many years ago I destroyed two of them in quick sucession and I was by no means trade at the time. Buy the best you can afford and the largest you can fit in. I also have the cast iron SIP but in the 12" version. It was many years before I traded up from my old B&Q power pro site saw to this and I wish I had done it many years ago. HTH. :wink:

wizer":2n9p909f said:
jayman":2n9p909f said:

I think you haven't bothered to read the replies...

my thoughts exactly

short version - none of the budget saws are any good (at least not worth the purchase price). If you must buy one get one very cheap - ie 20 odd notes, on ebay and save for a better one.

the axminster TS200 is an okay saw if you fettle it but at circa 300 notes cant really be called budget, and in anycase 300 notes could get you a much better saw if you buy second hand.

big soft moose":1hmeb4uz said:
the axminster TS200 is an okay saw if you fettle it but at circa 300 notes cant really be called budget, and in anycase 300 notes could get you a much better saw if you buy second hand.

That is true but, for peeps like meself who have no way of transporting the saw, it starts to get very expensive getting it picked up and delivered. That puts most of them out of my reach so, Axminster here I come (when I got the necessary that is).

My first TS was a Ferm and the bloody thing scared the life out of me.

That's the truth for SURE!!

And I think that some of these cheaper saws are darn right dangerous in the wrong hands...I think your fear was valid Tom....

Interestinly BOTH my two early TS were Clarke (£10 bootfair) and Ferm (£20 at bootfair) and I was done with both of them but sold them for a profit so I was happy.

My experience with the Scheppach TS2010 leads me to believe that you have to do quite a bit of research before you invest...go and touch and feel a few..and see what we mean..don't just jump in (I thought I didn't but I did in retrospect)....and look at the secondhand market.

A rushed decision will potentially be a costly mistake....once the novelty of lying under the darn thing "fettling" it!!

:wink:

Jim

If I'd added the money I've spent on cheapo table saws to the money I spent on buying a good one I'd have an RAS as well!

Roy.

Back