Table Design - Possible Structure Problem? Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
ash-walnut-table.jpg

This is an idea I had for a table I am currently making out of Ash. The top comprises of 3 large pieces of Ash, roughly 1000x240x50 (mm) each.

I found some walnut at college and was thinking of putting the strips inbetween the pieces of Ash.

I know the Walnut is very stable and has been in a nice atmosphere for a long time and the Ash at my workshop has been there for around a month and has been behaving itself but my question is:

Is it a bad idea to use these solid pieces or should I inlay, I am a little worried they may move or expand differently as they are different timbers?

Any answers would be extremely appreciated.

Ps I would not like to inlay if possible . . . otherwise I will have to do another idea

George

I think you will be ok using solid timber It may move very slightly in service but not enough to cause any problems maybe a very slight ripple in the worst case. I would use a UF resin glue rather than PVA. A guy who writes for F&C mag has done a few tables like your design. see here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brendan.devittspooner/

The photos aren't very clear but will give you an idea.

Jon

Just when I thought I had a nifty idea myself someone comes along and ruins it!

Only joking, I like that first photo it looks great to me and thankyou for the advice, I will crack on with that tommorow hopefully and maybe show some pics!

Thanks, george

George, go for it - and, make sure we have some photos!! :D

Inlaying doesn't have to be that difficult either. I did some simple inlay-work on a Coffee Table last year, all with the router. :wink:

That looks good and shouldn't pose any problems that wouldn't already be in the selected timber.

When you have done one with straight lines in it try making curved lines in the joint or having a piece of contrasting timber between two wany edges, with or without a designed gap in the joint. That will test your patience a little. :wink:

Back