T - track bolts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or do T-track bolts seem silly expensive for what they are? :shock:

I think m6 roofing bolts or coach bolts may be a better choice.

You are correct on both counts :lol:
Get the file out and adjust some bolts, save the pounds :D

I use flange nuts like these:
http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ ... duct_id=61

If I rout my own slots they work fine straight out of the packet, and if I need to use them in 1/2" T-Track like this:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... a+m_dk2052

then I simply give each side of the flange a few strokes with a file to reduce them from 14mm to 12.5 or thereabouts.

I guess the costs come down to economies of scale. Ordinary bolts are made by the gazillion, which is why they can be made at a very low price. T-track bolts are not.

Yes, that is what I mean.

I rout a groove 14mm wide and as deep as I need.
The I rout a rebate each side of that groove, usually 6mm deep.
Then I glue in a piece of wood or MDF to fill the upper area from rebate to rebate, leaving a wide, very shallow tunnel underneath it.
Then I rout through the infill to make a T-slot.

Obviously it's not as robust as ali channel, but for stuff that is going to be used infrequently, it's fine.

S

Steve Maskery":28py1uba said:
Yes, that is what I mean.

I rout a groove 14mm wide and as deep as I need.
The I rout a rebate each side of that groove, usually 6mm deep.
Then I glue in a piece of wood or MDF to fill the upper area from rebate to rebate, leaving a wide, very shallow tunnel underneath it.
Then I rout through the infill to make a T-slot.

Obviously it's not as robust as ali channel, but for stuff that is going to be used infrequently, it's fine.

S

I understand. I was going to buy a cheapo cutter.....but not easy to find if you're not in USA, then they want as much for postage as the cost of the bit.... :shock: :shock:

Tell me about it. I've not got my RT set up yet, but I have left only the table itself, the plate and all my cutters went in the Haul. I had lots, over 1K worth. I'm having to decide what I really need to replace and what I can live without. As you say, it would be a lot easier in the States, but one it I wanted was 70-odd dollars plus $99 carriage.

The only issue with using my flange bolts with ali T-track is that most of the threaded turret part is pulled above the track, so I have to cut that down too. Sometimes I just use it upside down, which means I have to remove less and retain more thread.

Steve Maskery":2jz0nuch said:
The only issue with using my flange bolts with ali T-track is that most of the threaded turret part is pulled above the track, so I have to cut that down too. Sometimes I just use it upside down, which means I have to remove less and retain more thread.

Any idea why its so difficult to get t slot cutter in UK. Seem to be available in Hong Kong and USA at reasonable cost.

Market size. If a vendor imported, say, 10 units, I bet they would sell one or two a year. That is not profitable, it's a lot of money tied up in stock on shelves.S

I take a carriage bolt and grind down a bit of the round dome top and it fits nicely in a t-lot. The square shaft on a carriage bolt keeps it from turning in the t-slot.
Karen

I usually make my own too. I use an angle grinder to cut out a square piece of 20 mm mild steel plate. Then I grind and file rebates along two sides of it and drill a hole in the middle. Than I tap the hole and use locktite to glue in a piece of threaded rod.

Another vote for using coach bolts - I don't have the patience that others seem to so I use a grinding wheel, takes seconds.

Steve, your method for making T-slots works well I'm sure but sounds a lot more effort than just routing the slot with a cutter. I use a keyhole cutter from Wealden: http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/T_Slot_65.html. Cutter T1552 (available in 1/4" and 8mm shank) makes a 12.7mm slot with an 8mm wide channel, for the princely sum of £12.40.

siggy_7":2le5yap7 said:
Another vote for using coach bolts - I don't have the patience that others seem to so I use a grinding wheel, takes seconds.

Steve, your method for making T-slots works well I'm sure but sounds a lot more effort than just routing the slot with a cutter. I use a keyhole cutter from Wealden: http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/T_Slot_65.html. Cutter T1552 (available in 1/4" and 8mm shank) makes a 12.7mm slot with an 8mm wide channel, for the princely sum of £12.40.

Siggy

Followed a link to this thread from another on Tee bolts. Wanted to thank you for the link as I am in the process of upgrading a home made router table that somebody kindly gave me. Also made me smile that your post seemed to bring all discussion of workarounds to a rather abrupt halt. Guess it goes to show the power of asking the question on UKW.

Terry.

It's not difficult to drill and tap some steel strip. You could also use alloy.

Latest posts

Back