Sycamore bowl with ribbing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Been a while since I managed to get the the lathe and this weekend started on some of the big lumps of Sycamore I got recently.

This piece was 2/3rd of one of the blanks I'd cut (the other was a base for another project in the works)

The plan was to turn in the other way up as I'd drilled my recess in the top but as I spun it round the cracks in the top went deeper than I thought, so this was turned from the one mount point, back and front. I then reversed with the router mat and tail stock method to clean the bottom.

Finished with 2 coats of Boiled Linseed Oil buffed one the lathe.

Top view:
Sycamore_Ribbed_Bowl_03.jpg

Side view 1:
Sycamore_Ribbed_Bowl_01.jpg

Side view 2:
Sycamore_Ribbed_Bowl_02.jpg

Comments welcome...

Mark.............

Workmanship looks good, I suspect that the colour is due to photography (my sympathies, I am useless as well). Design wise it's not my cup of tea but unless you are thinking of selling that is irrelevant. Wood needs to have a friendly feeling and too many sharp edges detracts from that IMHO.

Pete

I don't think the ribs do it any favours, the wood has enough character on its own and would look just as effective with cleaner lines.
SycamoreRBow.jpg

Not really my cup of tea - the ribs make it feel rather heavy and seem grafted onto the bottom, the internal sides seem to fall away sharply to a flat bottom and it all and the base seems to be very thick (I guess as a result of the chucking recess?).

On the plus side there seems to be little or no remaining tool marks and the finish seems good.

How would I change it (assuming that 1/ you're interested and 2/ I'd have the skill to do other than you did!)?"
- Make the exterior sides a single curve (as suggested by CHJ
- Aim for the base to be 1/3 of the rim diameter
- Measure the thickness of the base and make up a gauge for the max depth safe and cut some more out of the base to make the transition from side to base less acute and give some more "flow" the in the internal shape

Hope this helps - and if you like it as it is all my comments are null anyway :) :)

Miles

Not a bad effort Mark.
Not too keen on the outer shape meself,but it all looks to have been turned well,and you've tried something different :D
All good practice.

Bodrighy
I suspect that the colour is due to photography

The top pic is not that far off, the BLO does turn it a warm yellow. Still experimenting with the light tent and need to get the white balance right for my lamps, give me natural light and a good view any day.

CHJ
I don't think the ribs do it any favours

I can see what you mean Chas, I do plan on doing some forms like that with perhaps a smaller base and bigger sweeps.

miles_hot
the base seems to be very thick (I guess as a result of the chucking recess?).

The base is a little thicker than what I normally do, even when I leave a recess on, but as mentioned this was meant to be the other way round so I had to work with an estimate on how deep I'd drilled my original recess.

Aim for the base to be 1/3 of the rim diameter
This one is part of a group that have a more straighter sides. The others are going to be on stands, rather like large goblets.

Paul.J
Not too keen on the outer shape meself,but it all looks to have been turned well,and you've tried something different :D

Seems I'm in a minority for the sharp edges :( must be my punk tendencies coming out.

Cheers....
Mark...........

Hi,

You've got some great advice here m8.

When I first started I was throwing everything into each piece but the guys and gals on here gave me subtle encouragement and I am now beginning to appraciate the finer, more subtle lines of any given piece.

Chas has given you a good suggestion with removing the ribs and having a more complete, flowing, outer edge t ou bow.

If you take he time to follow some of the advice given you'll really appreciate that a bit of restraint and patience goes a long way.

Excellent tool control and finish btw.

Cheers,

Lee.

Not my style, but looks like you have a good technique, and a good finish.

Looks like you might have enough meat left to remount and turn a nice ogee on it in place of the ribs ?

:D

Nice wood Mark although not too sure about the ribs :? , Think a smoother contour would look better :)
Steve

Back