Swallows.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AJB Temple":1i749m8e said:
Indeed. I agree. We should be super concerned about this. I keep bees, but contrary to popular belief, they are not the only pollinators. The eco system needs to be in balance: the food chain is delicate and we humans damage it (more) at our own peril.

I won't put the full list in because it is huge, but https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ed_by_bees

No pollinators, no food, as MikeG says. Brassicas, root vegetables, potatoes, nuts - all the good, high value, high calorie food. We would have to survive on grain and animals that eat grain. And olive oil, so perhaps not the complete disaster, at least for some of us. No grapes, so no wine -
only beer. No cider, either - I'm going off this way of life rapidly. No coffee, but tea is safe. Phew.

Is it just me, or do we need to make sure that this thread title never gets close to "Hormone rooting powder", just in case Harry Potter sues.

Blame Bm101 - he started it.

Trainee neophyte":3ghxl6wc said:
Is it just me, or do we need to make sure that this thread title never gets close to "Hormone rooting powder", just in case Harry Potter sues.

Blame Bm101 - he started it.

Eh????????

No pollinators said:
I'll just have to learn to like olives. My one and only tree is loaded down with buds, its gonna be a big year. I wouldnt want to gather the amount youre going to have.

I'm not anti ALL insects, just the ones that bite me.and of course the ants that invade every summer and you cant eradicate no matter how many gaps you fill. 8)

sunnybob":mxbrpcf5 said:
MikeG.":mxbrpcf5 said:
sunnybob":mxbrpcf5 said:
.......the biggest benefit is their eating habits, over 800 flying insects per bird per day. .....

You're lucky to still have insects.

Err, no. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

If I could do away with insects, I would happily let the birds and spiders go. Every table and seating area outdoors has fly swatters to hand. Every so often we get vampire flies. They bite and suck blood, and you only know youve been bit when you see the blood on your legs. We terminate those with extreme prejudice. They are the curse of my life style. 8)

You're living the dream. I'll see you vampire flies and raise you MIDGES

No ta. Thing with midges is I would have to move somewhere cold :shock:
That is not in my dreams (hammer) (hammer) 8)

As if the swallows trying to nest in my workshop isnt enough, now I have sparrows nesting in the pergola roof :shock:
Theyve torn away the evo stick flashing at one end, and gone in between the tiles and the T&G boarding.
Talk about hob nail boots marching up and down again (hammer) (hammer)

I was going to seal the hole up and hard luck if any were inside, but then I realised they were well advanced, and no matter how much I dislike the perishing things, I'm not cruel enough to have the eggs hatch out and starve to death. Next month when the temp (hopefully) goes into the 30's it will get too hot under those tiles for them to stay. Whatever happens, come autumn that hole will have trip wires and claymore mines installed. :shock: 8)

Hah! Sun came out, temps went way up, found a dead sparrow on the floor below the roof tile hole.No more boots marching about. Result! =D> =D>

Oh, found an insect I dont mind in the garden, female preying mantis, just about 6" long. The tiddly little males are barely bigger than grasshoppers. The babies are hilarious, tiny,tiny flourescent see through green.
See, I'm not ALL bad. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back