Super glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to post a bit of an update.

I am sorry to say that I may have spoken too soon.

I was working with the red and blue with no problems, and only using small amounts of solvent yellow 16 in the mix to make green.

I have found that the pure solvent yellow 16 seems to initiate rapid curing of the CA glue, I have tried dissolving the yellow in acetone and then allowing it to dry to eliminate the possibility of the particle size of the powder causing this, but it seems to be the compound itself accelerating the curing. It also generates quite a bit of heat.

Matt.

Random Orbital Bob":3v2g8n53 said:
I'm sure Tommy has full faith in all the products he endorses and isn't "just doing it for the money" :shock:

i bought a lock from there to test some engraving as it was cheap.

turned the key and the U part flew across the room, turns out it didnt have anything to keep the end in the lock!

but as i have always said (and found out occasionally), poundland is good for odds and sods, but the tools are dire. i needed an emergency screwdriver in work once for some IT equipment so nothing too hardcore, the screwdriver stripped by the 3rd screw and some pliers, well they bent and snapped and were only slightly harder than cheese.

DiscoStu":1b9bc0wy said:
How much is the superglue in poundland? I might have to get some.

25p a bottle, but I often find it's more economical to buy 4 at a time.

DiscoStu":1zd2xwss said:
So if it's more economical, then how much is it for 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
£4, but you only need to carry one thing rather than 4

DiscoStu":3teomaw8 said:
So if it's more economical, then how much is it for 4?

It's a Pound. The economical part is purely environmental because they aren't packaged individually.

Over here, in our €1 stores, we only get 7g of superglue to the euro. Ripoff Ireland strikes again! :D

I've been buying the Wickes No Nonsense stuff. Seems fine as far as I can tell and good value.

DiscoStu":2lnkhb2s said:
How much is the superglue in poundland? I might have to get some.
Poundland own one of the chains over here called Dealz and the range of stuff is very similar or identical, so in addition to the one bottle mentioned previously you might see be cards with multiple small tubes, I think it's six per.

While you're in there the re-branded Tommy Walsh epoxy (same as the old Tool Box stuff as far as I can tell) is good stuff for fast-set epoxy, I've used it for years. If you're lucky the car section might have some 30-minute epoxy too, I loaded up the last time I saw it as they seem to nearly get it in or it sells out in no time.

Another thing worth keeping an eye out for is pure acetone, sold as a remover for false nails. Find it amongst the nail polish stuff. Classics brand, 150ml bottles, look for white caps and lavender labels beside the taller pink bottles of polish remover. This might seem an expensive way to buy acetone but it's far cheaper than most ebay sellers at £6.66 a litre. So pretty cheap all things considered and it's handy not having to wait for the post to get more in when you've run out.

MarkDennehy":u2d10nvb said:
Over here, in our €1 stores, we only get 7g of superglue to the euro. Ripoff Ireland strikes again! :D
I get 8 x 3g tubes of superglue in Eurosaver for €1.50. It's even sometimes sold with two extra tubes free and obviously I stock up when I see those!

This has been my go-to superglue for as long as I can remember. Couldn't afford the bloody stuff otherwise :evil: I nearly never get through a tube before the humidity has set the remainder into a gel or it's gone completely hard, which sometimes takes only a week or two :(

Poundland sell 8 x 3g... or 4 x 7g bottles. Depends if you need 24g or 28g for your quid.

From experience the stuff in the tubes has almost zero shelf-life, but the bottled CA never seems to dry out in the bottle.

NazNomad":1eedeudt said:
Poundland sell 8 x 3g... or 4 x 7g bottles. Depends if you need 24g or 28g for your quid.

From experience the stuff in the tubes has almost zero shelf-life, but the bottled CA never seems to dry out in the bottle.

I buy the tubes, the bottles don't dry out but they nearly always get clogged and messed up before I am half finished, the tubes I can usually use most of it before it gets buggered.

Back