Sub £500 Table Saw Comparison Chart

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timsk

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people are like me in the market for a sub £500 Table / bench / Contractors / cabinet saw. The best they can get for the money. I've been reading reviews till my eyes hurt.

Finally I made myself a little chart up of the ones I've been considering having limited space (long rather than wide) and the sort of stuff I would like to cut, No large sheets (Timber yard can do that), cutting mostly 1 inch thick hardwood and softwood along with self laminated boards for box frames and sections to laminate together to make blocks for my lathe so I can try making laminated bowls.

I thought I would share this chart for anyone who may find it useful and ask the forum members if they think I've missed out any contenders available in the UK and any vital features I've not considered on my chart.

I have a long hard decision to make as this saw will have to last me a long time. I did consider an E-bay purchase as suggested by many forum members in previous posts but anything substantial such as a second hand Wadkins just looks too hard to get delivered and too difficult to get through my conservatory door. Oh and the Charnwood w650 is just there as a comparison with its little brother. It's out my range but it just makes me feet the 619 is a little lightweight compared to it

Should I cross any of these machines off my list because of a insubstantial fence or bad quality table. It would be nice to have an opinion on that as well.

Cheers and here it is...
lDD2wzN.png

I have the Charnwood W650 and it's excellent.
Had I known when I bought it that I'd end up getting a bandsaw too then I'd have gone for the W619. I don't think that the lower motor power should be a problem for your intended use as my previous table saw was 1.1kw and was fine for 2" oak (although it was a brush motor and was significantly louder).

I found the staff at Charnwood to be really helpful and the customer service to be excellent.

Having a blade that clamps front and back is not a good feature- it is one way of correcting rubbish fences. It is a pain to have to adjust 2 places every time you want to move it a mm or two. Having a rigid fence that clamps only at the front is much better.

One model worth looking for, secondhand is a small startrite tilt arbour ta145. It should be about your budget- 300-500 quid. I think this is one, which in my opinion is a bit pricey http://bit.ly/1rEXoF2. These are very good saws- I got my father one and almost kept it. Fence is rock solid, decent mitre gauge but no slider. It isn't as heavy as it looks and those extensions come off easily. It can't be too far away from you.

+1 for a Startrite even a 175 footprint is not much bigger than a 145. They are very compact but substantial and a mobile base is a must if you are limited on space.
Concerning eBay purchase just be patient and remember there are a lot of companies that will do a pallet collection for about £50 to £65

My mate has the smallest Axminster one with the cast iron bed and induction motor.
It is a very good saw. especially for the money, far better than the cast aluminium tops commonly seen on cheap table saws.
He has had it a while and it is totally reliable.
I might get one too.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back