strange tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sue denim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am working on a little cabin in the woods for a client. I was going to cut an overhanging branch which was fouling the roof.

This is where it goes a bit strange. The branch is 'maple leaf oak' but the tree is beech. Looking further up the tree there are more oak branches coming out of the trunk. How has this happened ?

The tree is relatively young.

I have never seen this before... anyone else ?

Wondering what the wood will be like inside.

Well I can think of three possible reasons, (A) the Oak has some how grafted itself onto the Beech (unlikely), (B) the Oak is growing out the top of the Beech maybe a squirrels forgotten stash, or (C) you've started on the red wine to early again!

As has been said, probably a graft, but those trees like different soils.

Many years ago (about 60) when I was a child some of us children used to play in the woods. We built a tree house in a tree, and later that year it had apples. But here is the thing, every branch carried different kinds of apples, small yellow ones, very big red ones green ones all sorts. We called it the "magic tree" because at that time we were reading stories of "The far away tree" in school. The tree itself was very large for an apple tree easily 20-30 feet high and very spreading.
I think now, someone decided to practice grafting on this wild tree he found in the woods but at the time is really did seem to be magical.

Back