storage shelfs (mdf??)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MDF is porous only at the exposed edges, easily sealed with wood workers glue - PVA - just apply it down any exposed edges, rub it with your finger to get it all the way up to the edges, let it dry - 1 day - then sand with any not too rough sandpaper. MDF will accept any type of paint, I have seen painters seal it with emulsion - 2 coats - then paint it with gloss, so you can do it with almost anything you choose, of course the better the foundation/undercoat (2 coats, let dry & rub down between coats) you use the better and longer lasting the finish...bosshogg :)
No man is an island

hi everyone

only thing is dnt think i can sand between coats as no room in shed and ill have to do sanding in the living room ahhhhhhh

dnt think thats good lol

so ill just di what everyone says but forget sanding

dnt need to be perfect

when i move i might try better things with wood

Try not to miss out the sanding, it really goes a long way to a better finish. You don't have to rub the hell out of it just a wipe all over with 120 or higher grit to knock off the fluffy bits and imperfections from the previous coat. For the unit you made it can be sanded in a minute or two.

Steve.

Ateallthepies":120ehzk3 said:
Try not to miss out the sanding, it really goes a long way to a better finish. You don't have to rub the hell out of it just a wipe all over with 120 or higher grit to knock off the fluffy bits and imperfections from the previous coat. For the unit you made it can be sanded in a minute or two.

Steve.

ok well ill do it outside on a good day then repeat another day etc etc

as no space etc :(

hi everyone
well very bussy with other stuff at present

but can someone make me understand the following

1. is mdf the best/cheapest wood type to use to knock up quick furniture (also where is the cheapest place for wood mdf etc etc near me?) im near bracknell

2.is mdf the only type of wood that needs sealing?

3.must all mdf be painted to seal the toxic glue it has?

4 whats the difference between oil paint and water based?

5.i see you say final coats must be gloss, satinwood, or eggshell (ive only ever heard of gloss ) is there more or just this 3 types of paint for top coats?

6.whats the best final coats to use for hard-wearing (gloss, eggshell, or satinwood) and theirs probably loads more????

sorry im so new to wood and dnt know about it

im trying to get it

so is this all the types of paint....oil based, water based (only used for undercoats are these???)
gloss, eggshel, satinwood for final coats(and whats the difference between them all)

Hi Greek Enigma,
How are you getting on with your mould problem?
1. Yes, In a nutshell it is. Try Wickes often the will have slightly damaged sheets, reduced to £8, and Brewers used to charge around £18 for a 8’x4’ 18mm Sheet and £1 a cut and they will deliver to you. You’ve also got Swinly Saw Mill just around the corner, its worth popping in and asking them if they got any cheap timber.
2. No, all woods should be sealed.
3. Not quite, the main reason to paint MDF is for same reason that anything is painted, and not to seal the ‘toxic glue’ and don’t get to hung up about the glue you really should stop worrying about this!!!
4. Water based paints use water to make them a liquid, the reason the paint dries is because the water evaporates from the paint, leaving you with a dry painted surface.
Oil based paints use Oil to make them a liquid, the reason the paint dries is because the Oil evaporates from the paint, leaving you with a dry painted surface.
5. Not that you need to worry about, just stick with Eggshell or Satinwood, (there more or less the same anyway) and leave you with an ‘eggshell satin’ finish gloss is harder to apply and leaves you with shiny (gloss) finish.
6. Gloss is harder, but the other two are plenty good enough.
7. You’ve got primer comes in both (Water and Oil Based)
You’ve got Undercoat it comes in both Water and Oil Based
You’ve got Gloss, Eggshell & Satinwood they all come in both Water and Oil Based

DOOGYREV":39cms3el said:
Hi Greek Enigma,
1. Yes, In a nutshell it is. Try Wickes often the will have slightly damaged sheets, reduced to £8, and Brewers used to charge around £18 for a 8’x4’ 18mm Sheet and £1 a cut and they will deliver to you. You’ve also got Swinly Saw Mill just around the corner, its worth popping in and asking them if they got any cheap timber.
3. Not quite, the main reason to paint MDF is for same reason that anything is painted, and not to seal the ‘toxic glue’ and don’t get to hung up about the glue you really should stop worrying about this!!!
4. Water based paints use water to make them a liquid, the reason the paint dries is because the water evaporates from the paint, leaving you with a dry painted surface.
Oil based paints use Oil to make them a liquid, the reason the paint dries is because the Oil evaporates from the paint, leaving you with a dry painted surface.
5. Not that you need to worry about, just stick with Eggshell or Satinwood, (there more or less the same anyway) and leave you with an ‘eggshell satin’ finish gloss is harder to apply and leaves you with shiny (gloss) finish.
You’ve got Gloss, Eggshell & Satinwood they all come in both Water and Oil Based

cheers ma8

when you say i got primer, do you mean watered down water or oil based?

and when you say i got under coat, do you mean not watered down water or oil?

so eggshell & satinwood are also gloss?

thanks for the help

how you know all this info?

Greek Enigma":2104eipw said:
DOOGYREV":2104eipw said:
Hi Greek Enigma,

cheers ma8

thanks for the help

When I say "you've got" I dont mean you personally.

Ok I will try and keep it simple for you, when your painting mdf wood etc.. you need to give it 3 coats of paint and rub down between coats.
First coat use primer (this will also 'seal it') - You can get both water & oil based primers
Rub it down
Second coat use undercoat. - You can get both water & oil based undercoats
Rub down
Top coat use Eggshell or Satinwood. I wouldn't bother with gloss if I were you - Again you can get all three in both water & oil based

No, Eggshell and Satin wood are almost the same, Gloss is different.

Really isn't alot to know, Prime - Rub down - Undercoat - Rubdown - Top Coat - Done. Then just clean your brushes with water or white spirit.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer for you.

DOOGYREV":2zotg1or said:
Greek Enigma":2zotg1or said:
DOOGYREV":2zotg1or said:
Hi Greek Enigma,

cheers ma8

thanks for the help

When I say "you've got" I dont mean you personally.

Ok I will try and keep it simple for you, when your painting mdf wood etc.. you need to give it 3 coats of paint and rub down between coats.
First coat use primer (this will also 'seal it') - You can get both water & oil based primers
Rub it down
Second coat use undercoat. - You can get both water & oil based undercoats
Rub down
Top coat use Eggshell or Satinwood. I wouldn't bother with gloss if I were you - Again you can get all three in both water & oil based

No, Eggshell and Satin wood are almost the same, Gloss is different.

Really isn't alot to know, Prime - Rub down - Undercoat - Rubdown - Top Coat - Done. Then just clean your brushes with water or white spirit.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer for you.

i totaly understand
what i mean is on here people say no need for primer just used watered down emulsion? (correct?)

and no need for undercoat (just use emulsion)

and thats all finished

unless you want a tough scratch resistant & clean easy surface
then use a last coat of gloss, eggshell or satinwood

so what i mean is, is this the correct method thats in my head...without having to buy all the gimmicks

1.apply watered down emulsion to seal/prime (2 to 3 times on edges maybe)

2.apply undercoat (use emulsion again NOT WATERED DOWN THIS TIME)

3.all finished (unless needing scratch resistant and easy clean surface then do step 4

4.gloss, satinwood or eggshell

and use 120grit sandpaper between coats?

p.s if painting anywood (not just mdf) should i use same method...maybe just no need to seal?

i mean i know some woods arn't painted and waxed or oild (another thread for another time if i do something like that maybe :p )

Greek Enigma":2f12n0gv said:
i totaly understand
what i mean is on here people say no need for primer just used watered down emulsion? (correct?)

Yes thats fine, its the same as priming

Yes thats fine too, but the second coat is called undercoat whatever you use (emulsion in your case)

and thats all finished

No you should Top Coat

so what i mean is, is this the correct method thats in my head...without having to buy all the gimmicks

Yes

Yes

3.all finished (unless needing scratch resistant and easy clean surface then do step 4

No you should really top coat

Yes all Finished

Yes if thats all you have it will be fine

p.s if painting anywood (not just mdf) should i use same method...maybe just no need to seal?

Yes 3 coats of paint, rub down between coats
Unless its going to be outside, then still same method but use oil based paints

i mean i know some woods arn't painted and waxed or oild (another thread for another time if i do something like that maybe :p )

Yes if you want a wood finish then dont paint it
If your not going to top coat it because you dont have any paint, PM me and I will be happy give you some.

DOOGYREV":v7od5f2y said:
Greek Enigma":v7od5f2y said:
i totaly understand

Yes thats fine, its the same as priming

Yes thats fine too, but the second coat is called undercoat whatever you use (emulsion in your case)

and thats all finished

No you should Top Coat

Yes

Yes

No you should really top coat

Yes all Finished

Yes if thats all you have it will be fine

Yes 3 coats of paint, rub down between coats
Unless its going to be outside, then still same method but use oil based paints

Yes if you want a wood finish then dont paint it
If your not going to top coat it because you dont have any paint, PM me and I will be happy give you some.

thats real nice of you ma8...but i wouldn't feel right doing that

what i ment was say the wood or mdf was just for say up on the wall never touched etc

why must it still be painted with gloss eggshell or satinwood?

or is it because emulsion is mainly for wallpaper or something lol

omg im a .

ummmm...i get the process everyone has described (do all pros use that method?)

this is the only forum im a member of as newish to internet

do you know any other good forums?

as i see this is suppossed to be just about wood

for instance say i wanted to rebuild a house

ide need to get alot of info

because im thinking of buy and doing up places in future so need to get info ( a major lot)

ide like to learn alot of things

cheers for help everyone

Greek Enigma":1a40uy4d said:
DOOGYREV":1a40uy4d said:

thats real nice of you ma8...but i wouldn't feel right doing that
I really wouldn't mind I must have over 100 half full tins of various colours (mainly creams) that I will probably never use again anyway

what i ment was say the wood or mdf was just for say up on the wall never touched etc

why must it still be painted with gloss eggshell or satinwood?
Thats just the way it should be done, it will make it easy to clean, and last much longer.

or is it because emulsion is mainly for wallpaper or something lol
Yes emulsion is meant for walls and ceilings

omg im a .

ummmm...i get the process everyone has described (do all pros use that method?)
Yes 3 coats & rub down in between

this is the only forum im a member of as newish to internet

do you know any other good forums?
Sorry No I don't

as i see this is suppossed to be just about wood

for instance say i wanted to rebuild a house
If you were to rebuild a house I would get a professional in

ide need to get alot of info

because im thinking of buy and doing up places in future so need to get info ( a major lot)

ide like to learn alot of things
Youtube has allot of DIY videos which may help you

cheers for help everyone

Your welcome

Latest posts

Back