Storage Shed - WIP **FINISHED!**

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Gidon, looks good. Yes it is surprising how much timber is now for a project like this. I get a good discount from my local timber merchants but it still cost me around £500 for the materials to build a 10 x 8 shed. :roll: I agree with you that the shingles make it look so much nicer. I will eventually get around to putting them on my workshop one day! :roll:

Hi Gidon,

Great looking storage shed - much better than you could buy off the shelf!

Is your timber pressure treated? I may have had a bad experience but I built a deck from Wickes pressure treated timber and assumed it needed no further treatment. Several years down the line the timber has cracked, split and warped. I was told the pressure treatment only stops it from rotting and it still needs some treatment from the elements.

I maybe wrong and often am - perhaps others could comment?

Looks good, Gidon, and a real bargain at that price, when you think about it. :wink:

So, now it's time to fill it up... Is this your wood store??? :shock:

MrD, the information you've been given is correct. Timber, as a natural product, is liable to warp, split and crack in time. You may find it is at its worst in the summer but moves back again in the winter. The treatment appears to have done it's job in that the deck is still standing; your wood isn't rotten. :)

It is advisable to treat the decking regularly (decking oil is good) from the time at which it is first laid. Most people will add a coat of oil annually. This may help prevent the boards from drying out so quickly (hence all the shrinkage and movement) and it also revives the colour, if you don't like the silvery/grey look achieved over time.

Sorry for late reply - been away ...
Thanks for comments. Yes wood is pressure treated - hope it lasts!
Olly - wood store - I wish! Just garden junk.
Cheers
Gidon

Look good Gidon. Maybe a coat of decking oil would protect the wood against excess weathering?

Nice avatar btw. Where is it?

Back