stacked dado

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topchippyles

Established Member
Reaction score
does anybody know which bench saws a wabble blade/stacked dado will fit, the harbour needs to be quite wide and saw reasonable price
to buy (screwfix,trade point,b&q ect) cheers

None of the modern saws are allowed to have a long enough 'arbour' to fit a stacked dado head on them. You would have to be looking at an older Wadkin or Sedgwick or purchase a Dewalt radial arm saw.

Mike

have got a dewalt radial ard saw but 6" stacked dado is to small plus the harbour is to short,do you know how wide a wobble saw setup is.cheers mike
any help is gratefully recieved

topchippyles":8fhuebzw said:
do you know how wide a wobble saw setup is.cheers mike
A wobble saw will take up to about 1-1/2" of an arbor's length, depending on the width the wobble saw can cut, therefore you'll need an arbor longer than this so that you can fit the nut to lock the saw in place. You'll also need a machine with a 30 mm arbor. Wobble saws, here in the UK, are primarily intended for use on spindle moulders. You won't find a bench saw here in the UK onto which you can fit either a wobble saw or a dado blade, unless you buy a similar type of saw imported from the USA/ North America, and that opens up a whole can of worms. For instance, there's importing the saw for a start, and then to fit dado blades or a wobble saw you'd probably need to import them from North America to fit the standard 5/8" arbor their saws are fitted with.

You could, I suppose, shim a standard 30 mm hole in a wobble saw or dado saw intended for the European market to fit a US style saw. But what's the point of all that expense and palaver? It might just be easier to work wood the European way rather than trying to work it the American way. Slainte.

topchippyles":2vglh45u said:
have got a dewalt radial ard saw but 6" stacked dado is to small plus the harbour is to short,do you know how wide a wobble saw setup is.cheers mike
Use a router.

I'd say minimum of a 2hp induction motor powered saw is needed for a dado set and furthermore it need to be a solidly built machine.
In order to get the spindle length it needs to be one of the very few types designed for a dado set eg Xcalibur or an older lump of cast iron with a long abour.
Wobble saws give a curved bottom to the dado and this is not suitable for exposed joints where appearance matters.
My DW ras is more than powerful enough to run an 8" dado set.

MM

topchippyles":18clcwr8 said:
router to slow,love to have the right toys

How is a router too slow? Yes, the cutting takes a little longer, but the setup time is a fraction of how long it takes to set up a dado stack, make the cut and then put the saw back to its normal state.

If you really do want to use a TS for grooves like this, then a stacked dado will be a better option than a wobble blade, but you won't find a machine to take them in B&Q or SCrewfix. The only one I know of sold in the UK is the cabinet saw from Woodford, badged as Xcalibur. Excellent saw, with or without a dado stack, but it's in a different price bracket to anything from the sheds.

But it is definitely the right toy.

Steve

Or a wider blade. I have a 6mm kerf blade for my table saw. 3 or 4 passes and you have 3/4". I am sure that they do a wider one too at 10mm or thereabouts.

Kity used to sell a wider than normal blade several years ago. Think it might have had a 10mm kerf with a 30mm bore.

Steve Maskery":2urh5mix said:
topchippyles":2urh5mix said:
router to slow,love to have the right toys

How is a router too slow? Yes, the cutting takes a little longer, but the setup time is a fraction of how long it takes to set up a dado stack, make the cut and then put the saw back to its normal state.

If you really do want to use a TS for grooves like this, then a stacked dado will be a better option than a wobble blade, but you won't find a machine to take them in B&Q or SCrewfix. The only one I know of sold in the UK is the cabinet saw from Woodford, badged as Xcalibur. Excellent saw, with or without a dado stack, but it's in a different price bracket to anything from the sheds.

But it is definitely the right toy.

Steve

Steve, have to ask: why would it take a lot longer to set up a dado cut? In my experience there's not a lot of difference between the two methods if done properly. And with the quicker cutting on the TS for me it's quicker. Obviously dependent on the size and the amount of cuts required.

I've had many times I would have loved to have a dado stack available when doing certain stuff, and from what I've seen, the result of a wobbler would have been quite good enough for a lot of purposes. There's a youtube video where someone demonstrates it to see how it compared to a stacked dado set. And given you can pick it up for peanuts...

Too bad really, wont fit my saw either. I don't own a router either and probably won't for a while so I make do with multiple passes and a flat top rip blade.

marcros":2e7csknm said:
Or a wider blade. I have a 6mm kerf blade for my table saw. 3 or 4 passes and you have 3/4". I am sure that they do a wider one too at 10mm or thereabouts.

What did that cost? I've been looking for something like that but all I found was as expensive as a stacked dado set.

Noel":2w7kik29 said:
Steve, have to ask: why would it take a lot longer to set up a dado cut? In my experience there's not a lot of difference between the two methods if done properly. And with the quicker cutting on the TS for me it's quicker. Obviously dependent on the size and the amount of cuts required.

Hi Noel
Well to set up the stack you have to remove the usual blade, install the stack, shimming if necessary, probably swap the guard (if it was mounted on the RK, as many are), fit a new ZCI. Then you can make the cut. Then you have to put it all back to how it was before.

Now if you have a run to do, then it may well be worthwhile, but if you have just one or two, then using a router with a jig is much faster. Install the cutter, clamp the jig, make the cut, unclamp. Job done. And if you are using veneered board, then a downward-cutting spiral cutter will give just as clean a cut.

I'm not knocking dado sets, I had one, used it rarely but when I did I was glad I had it. It was part of the haul, but I have bought a replacement. Not used it yet. Unfortunately it has 30mm bore so I shall have to uses reducers, but otherwise it is the same model as I had before. And it was half the price of the original one I bought over 20 years ago.

Back