SS GIFT VIEWING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jen, glad you like them.
I hope the book wasn't a bit presumptuous?
I did fear it may be a bit of a Grandmother/eggs/sucking scenario.
The gauge is Wenge, with a stainless facing and knobs, and a tungsten carbide scribe point (This has 4 edges so should last ages).
To be honest, it was a bit of a rush to get this out due to other commitments, and this was the first prototype, and I wasn't completely happy with it, and now I see the pictures I'm even less so. I have since tweaked the design.
Would you object to me sending you one from the first production batch?
I'll send a PM later if that's alright?

All the best.

Adam.

Well, over and above the excellent organisation again, I really need to thank waka who stepped in when my original ss went missing in action. Waka very kindly had prepared an excellent standby-by gift which arrived this morning. I am really chuffed with my gift - many thanks and a happy new year to you and all on this excellent forum!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,023
Hi, Happy new year to everyone.
Sorry to be so late in posting, but we have been away in deepest dark Norfolk (no mobile, or internet connection), but now were back let me say a big, big thank you to my secret santa for this....
ss014.jpg

ss009.jpg

ss011.jpg

I'm not sure of who you are, but something on the parcel tells me you may be from Kent?
The marking gauge is absolutely stunning, and the workmanship second to none. I think the woods are rosewood, and Ebony, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I love the recessed brass locking nut. Every time I use this it will make me smile and remind me of what a friendly generous group of people there are on this forum.
Just one more thing, the wood in the mitre plane is Beech. It was taken from the rear section of a very battered try plane, so It's of some age, but best of all it's air dried, and originally selected by a victorian plane maker.

Adam - no, of course I don't mind.

Re the book - making dolls houses themselves isn't my speciality, I generally make things to go inside like furniture and flooring etc. There looks to be some useful bits of information and tips that I can use on my own dolls house.

sorry I am late here.. been a bit hectic.
What must surely be the UKW book of the year (well, certainly for the hand-tool lot), along with the Taths Autumn 2012 newsletter.
ss.jpg

The Seaton book is amazing - the research that has gone into it, the drawings, everything. I really must go and see it now, as it's just up the road!

A brilliant choice Mark, very well considered and much appreciated. Many thanks indeed.

I did also receive another gift from some bloke nearby with a dog and a mill... more of that elsewhere later.

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,905
Here's my Secret Santa gift - a lovely handmade oiled box containing some very useful drills. Nice one - it's already installed on the drill shelf beside the pillar drill. Thank you, who ever you are - my Secret Santa was anonymous. What a nice surprise on Xmas morning :)

Bos Open...
IMGP5486.jpg

Box Closed...
IMGP5483.jpg

I got a beautiful little turned box with a screw on lid, timber is Welsh Pear.

SS 1.jpg

SS 2.jpg

Andy

Attachments

• SS 1.jpg
    SS 1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,693
  • SS 2.jpg
    SS 2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,693
adidat":1c00puzr said:
hi guys, must apologise for me delay in posting, and plumbing disaster on Christmas day and other problems and kept me very busy. Onwards...

well I was gob smacked to receive this beautiful plane.

IMG_6163_zpsfebd2387.jpg

it is in amazing condition considering it is probably 200 years old, I'm unaware of this maker could someone check in British plane makers for some more info? :---) :mrgreen:

IMG_6164_zpsa502792b.jpg

I'm not sure what the timber is but the grain is stunning!

IMG_6168_zps91657c15.jpg

with a boxwood mouth piece

IMG_6165_zpsf66199e8.jpg

the work that has gone into this is immense

IMG_6172_zps5b2184b4.jpg

a nice antique iron!

IMG_6171_zpsb765c995.jpg

the sole

IMG_6173_zpsb6d615b2.jpg

to say i was pleased is an understatement i think for once my face really did look like this! :mrgreen:

thank you very much Richard i will treasure this!

a very pleased adidat!

Hi,
I would like to know some more regarding this very beautiful plane.
Is the iron bedded bevel up? At what angle?
I was wondering if a low angle bed could cause damage to the sole when the wedge is inserted.
My compliments to the its planemaker and its owner
Ciao
Giuliano :D

ac445ab":2yjccd30 said:
adidat":2yjccd30 said:
hi guys, must apologise for me delay in posting, and plumbing disaster on Christmas day and other problems and kept me very busy. Onwards...

well I was gob smacked to receive this beautiful plane.

IMG_6163_zpsfebd2387.jpg

it is in amazing condition considering it is probably 200 years old, I'm unaware of this maker could someone check in British plane makers for some more info? :---) :mrgreen:

IMG_6164_zpsa502792b.jpg

I'm not sure what the timber is but the grain is stunning!

IMG_6168_zps91657c15.jpg

with a boxwood mouth piece

IMG_6165_zpsf66199e8.jpg

the work that has gone into this is immense

IMG_6172_zps5b2184b4.jpg

a nice antique iron!

IMG_6171_zpsb765c995.jpg

the sole

IMG_6173_zpsb6d615b2.jpg

to say i was pleased is an understatement i think for once my face really did look like this! :mrgreen:

thank you very much Richard i will treasure this!

a very pleased adidat!

Hi,
I would like to know some more regarding this very beautiful plane.
Is the iron bedded bevel up? At what angle?
I was wondering if a low angle bed could cause damage to the sole when the wedge is inserted.
My compliments to the its planemaker and its owner
Ciao
Giuliano :D
Hi Giuliano. In answer to your questions, yes it is bedded bevel up. I can't be 100% sure, but I think the angle was 25 degrees. ( I took the angle from an original example by Varvil of york. Original wooden mitre planes are very few and far between, but the examples I have had the chance to study have shown no signs of failing at the mouth. Having said that maybe thats why they are so scarce, and all the others have ended up on the scrap heap!!!.
Regards, Richard.

Hi All,

Please accept my sincere apologies for my latness in getting my SS gift up and posted.

To who ever my SS was, that you very much indeed, for the lovely scratch stock you made me. I just need to make the right piece to use this on :)

I have to add this via bucketshop as this is the smallest compression I can get on my camera...sorry. (just thought of the microsoft picture manager....so here it is.

Back