Spear & Jackson saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugbear":24j0dzhr said:
But this isn't some kind of "golden saw motherlode". It's just the best box at todays's auction (photographed this very morn).
Yeah, yeah, I grasped that. I see a tool/s, I evaluate - sorry... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Derek,

I once chassed down when they used that medallion but I cannot find my notes. iirc, they began using them in the 1950s or maybe '40s [after the war]. I have two as well.

In any case, they cut well. But then, I haven't met too many saws I don't like. Even filed out ones become scrapers or scratch-stock or paint scraper blades for one of my sons who is a painting contractor.

Take care, Mike

I bought an 'older' Spear and Jackson 10" Tenon Saw off an eBay seller a few months back and I've been really pleased with it.

It could probably do with a bit of a sharpening but I love the balance of the saw in use, it's so comfortable and accurate to use. :)

Scrit":1utp04ce said:
Hi Dag

I'd say the worst thing about S&J saws is those awful handles. I have large hands and I just can't grip any of their saws comfortably. This is a problem which dates back to the revamp of the saw range in the 1970s. The blades are OK (I was given a dovetail and a 22in panel), but I reckon that my old Disstons cut sweeter. Maybe I'm biased

BTW, hello and welcome....

Scrit

First of all, thanks to all those who welcomed me to the forum.

Great - nice to hear from an owner, Scrit. Have wondered for some time about the modern Spear and Jacksons. I must admit I wondered about the handles when I looked at the pictures, however they have been advertised with carbon steel blades, which I like the sound of. I have a Lynx hand saw which I really like. I do feel there is quite a lot of prejudice by some people towards new tools, although the quality has dropped on some, I think there are still some good tools to be had.

Looking at BugBear's picture of saws, they all look like they have rusty blades to me. I know it is not possible to properly sharpen blades that have been pitted.

Thanks to all that replied!

Dag

Dag":2iqx7qxp said:
Looking at BugBear's picture of saws, they all look like they have rusty blades to me. I know it is not possible to properly sharpen blades that have been pitted.
The true connoisseur sees degrees of rust... :wink:

Alf":3jwjx88j said:
Dag":3jwjx88j said:
The true connoisseur sees degrees of rust... :wink:

That's why they call it rust hunting! :D

Back