Spear & Jackson saws?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed that lots of people on the site have old Spear & Jackson saws, which seem to have a relatively good name? I was just wondering if the new S&J saws are any good, or if their standards have slipped? :? They have a so-called ‘professional range’ of saws which includes a Tenon and a Dovetail. Does anyone know how the saws compare to other saws of a similar price range of £40-50, e.g. Axminster Victor range? Does anyone have any experience with these saws?

Cheers

Nads

Nads":qtmams90 said:
...if the new S&J saws are any good, or if their standards have slipped?

I don't know of a single "old" company which hasn't slipped more or less catastrophically in the last 2-3 decades.

It's only the new "niche" makers, aimed specifically at the hand tool hobbyist market that are making fine quality tools today.

I would truly welcome a single counter example :cry:

BugBear

Bugbear,

So by that are you saying that they don’t produce much in the way of good saws anymore, even when compared to other saws at a similar price range?

Nads

Nads":1rmdn5uc said:
I noticed that lots of people on the site have old Spear & Jackson saws, which seem to have a relatively good name? I was just wondering if the new S&J saws are any good, or if their standards have slipped? :? They have a so-called ‘professional range’ of saws which includes a Tenon and a Dovetail. Does anyone know how the saws compare to other saws of a similar price range of £40-50, e.g. Axminster Victor range? Does anyone have any experience with these saws?

Cheers

Nads
I've got SJ professional 8" Dove tail, 10" Tennon and a 24" panel saw, IMHO I think they are superb. I don't know why people bother with old distons, I think I'll keep my head down for a while :D

I have some old S&J saws that are wonderful; well balanced, nicely tempered, handles that are elegant, comfortable, and well fitted to the blade.

The current models that I've seen in hardware stored appear very poor by comparison.

I have no idea how modern S&J saws compare to their present days competitors for the simple reason that there are so many superb old saws at car boot sales for under a fiver that I'm not motivated to investigate current offerings in any detail.

BugBear

And here is my favorite rip Spear & Jackson. Been posted before, but what the heck...

saws_0004a.jpg

saws_0006a.jpg

Just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Take care, Mike

syntec4":22c8bj1a said:
:shock: Wow Mike,
What do you use that for? Paddling a canoe?
Lee.
Just sawin' wood. It's a 4 1/2 ppi rip. As such, I don't use it on Purpleheart, but on something like Mahogany, it's a treat.

On Poplar and Pine, I been using an old Sorby that is a 3 1/2 ppi rip...

On harder stock that is 1" or less, I go as high as a 9 ppi rip. Else I tend to use a 7 ppi rip as a general purpose, hardwood rip saw.

Take care, Mike
who feels like he is paddling a canoe. Torrential rain today and I discovered a leak in the roof. So cold, it's hot drink time before getting back up on the roof!

Nads

I would only avoid those modern saws with electrically hardened teeth (usually dark blue) as in my experience the main problem with medium priced modern saws is the set. Typically, after running a stone across both sides of the teeth to take the points off, I find that modern saws cut very well

As I am thinking of buying one myself, this thread really interests me. I too would be very interested to hear from anyone who actually owns any modern Spear and Jackson saws from the professional range. How can I put this politely? I am not interested in hearsay or generalizations. It would be nice to here from actual owners.

Many thanks!

Dag

Hi Dag,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I don't have any S&J saws but I am sure someone who does will be along soon. :)

bugbear":r4nkxy7a said:
Further to why I don't buy modern saws...
Look at (some of) those nice handles. Note the estimated price for the entire box.
Ah, not all modern saws have uncomfortable handles :lol:

lg_tenon.jpg

sml_jnry.jpg

You do have me beat on price, though.

More to the point of the thread is that if the S&J saws cut well, just make a new handle:

dc_0001a.jpg

It's just a little woodwork for the most part. For the price, if they cut well, shape some wood if the handle bothers you. A piece of scrap even on a hardpoint saw will improve your enjoyment.

Take care, Mike

Hi Dag

I'd say the worst thing about S&J saws is those awful handles. I have large hands and I just can't grip any of their saws comfortably. This is a problem which dates back to the revamp of the saw range in the 1970s. The blades are OK (I was given a dovetail and a 22in panel), but I reckon that my old Disstons cut sweeter. Maybe I'm biased

BTW, hello and welcome....

Scrit

I reckon around 4 of those saws were (likely) good:

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=3614

and the rest probably usable.

But this isn't some kind of "golden saw motherlode". It's just the best box at todays's auction (photographed this very morn).

They'll be more next week...

My point is - old saws are common and cheap, and even really good ones aren't that rare or expensive. Most buyers, and as a consequence most sellers just don't value hand saws. 2-5 quid is the normal price range, unless you're up against an anteek dealer with a buffed-to-death brass-back back saw.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back