Spax MDF Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Not been here for quite some time, but I've dusted down the workshop, and having another go!

Anybody used these screws? any suggestions?

What about confirmat? it's mainly for cabinet construction.

Cheers

Jed

I use these screws and they are great.
They go into 'end grain' of mdf without splitting it - even if you don't predrill.
And the heads are nice and small so countersink themselves nicely.

Another vote for Spax.

I've used their stainless steel screws for outdoor furniture and the results are great (although you need to use a stainless steel screwdriver bit to prevent microscopic particles of regular steel transferring to the screw head and subsequently rusting), and I used some torx head Spax screws when fitting 80mm x 6mm screws into brick to support heavy shelves, it was a real treat to do the final tightening with a socket spanner instead of getting blisters hand tightening a traditional screwdriver at maximum torque.

I've used them , very nice I couldn't bring myself not to pre drill even though it says you don't have to.

The heads are tiny and sink really well so you don't get any bulging around the screws.

custard":2zi2uiuv said:
Another vote for Spax.

I've used their stainless steel screws for outdoor furniture and the results are great (although you need to use a stainless steel screwdriver bit to prevent microscopic particles of regular steel transferring to the screw head and subsequently rusting), and I used some torx head Spax screws when fitting 80mm x 6mm screws into brick to support heavy shelves, it was a real treat to do the final tightening with a socket spanner instead of getting blisters hand tightening a traditional screwdriver at maximum torque.

Can I recommend a 8" sweep hand brace with screwdriver attachment? Brings torque, speed and control. What's not to like?

BugBear

bugbear":1woxa5if said:
custard":1woxa5if said:
Another vote for Spax.

Can I recommend a 8" sweep hand brace with screwdriver attachment? Brings torque, speed and control. What's not to like?

BugBear

Good point Bugbear, in the past I've used exactly that solution with some very large screws in boatbuilding and very well it worked too. However, I'm still a torx convert for two reasons,

1. The brace bit needs to be an exact match to the screw head slot to work efficiently, and despite everyone nodding sagely at this the simple fact is that in the real world we all use slot head screws and drivers that aren't an exact fit, which is why I suspect the world moved so quickly to phillips head screws when they came out.

2. The brace solution still requires that you position yourself exactly behind the screw and lean hard into the job in line with the screw. When you're perched on top of a ladder fitting shelf brackets at 18" centres that requires a lot of repositioning of the ladder, plus I don't like applying a lot of force when I'm several feet above the ground. The torx system means you can reach out and operate a socket wrench at full arm stretch and cover off three columns of shelf supports from each ladder position.

+1 more. Also take a look at Spax M screws. Confirmat are good if you need the option to break down/reconstruct the cabinets easily later.

Must say they are the best I have used, worth the extra money,
these screws can be screwed without the need of a pilot hole and removed again and re-used and the heads will not wear, try saying that about any other screws these days that are on the market once they have been used and removed the metals are so soft the heads go.

I'm with Chippy on this! I would probably pre-drill as well, and that makes me wonder if I'm getting my moneys worth, instaed of regular screws?
Can't seem to find them very cheap either? Axminster £11 no thanks :lol:

Jed

Bit off topic but just bought a load of paslode ones from toolstation. They were in clearance bit so bought enough to last a while. Torx heads aswell so dont need much pressure to wind em in

ColeyS1":1pvrx079 said:
Bit off topic but just bought a load of paslode ones from toolstation. They were in clearance bit so bought enough to last a while. Torx heads aswell so dont need much pressure to wind em in

Yeah I've tried paslode screws before I was very impressed. I used 90mm ones for some stud work the torx heads never slip.

Latest posts

Back