Spalted birch plate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnu

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a spalted birch plate made from the end of a board and is about 20cm in diameter and 2.5cm thick. It was sold to an Austrian couple who dropped in the workshop the whilst on holiday in the area. The piece of wood didn't look anything special before I put it on the lathe but revealed some beutiful colours and patterns like an modern abstract landscape painting after I got into it a bit which is I suppose why we turn because of that element of surprise. Thanks for looking and have a nice evening particulary If you are a West Brom fan. How sweet that victory over Liverpool must be for Roy Hodgson after being ousted from Anfield
spaltedbirchplate8111.jpg

Rotten bit of wood, turned out nice despite your best efforts :twisted: I love turning platters and plates etc. from thin stock because you get to have some design input when selecting the features that won't be lost in shavings. But like you've found with that piece sometimes you get the other end of the scale when a less inspiring start can turn out to be a winner.

Back