Spalted Beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.j.h

Reaction score
I recently bought some spalted beech for the first time - but...
How much spalting is too much?

martin.j.h":19xf6oek said:
I recently bought some spalted beech for the first time - but...
How much spalting is too much?

Martin - welcome to the forum... depending on the degree of spalting and how long it's been left for, when there is too much in the timber it takes on an almost 'corky' quality which makes it very difficult to work with...an interesting grain pattern is all IMO that's required - Rob

Welcome to the forum Martin, how's about showing some pic's of your "spalted beech", we like pic's. :wink: :)

As said, if it's gone too far it becomes soft and useless for general woodworking though I have been known to make the odd toadstool from it on the lathe. Generally if there is any more than thin black lines it may well have gone too far. Can you dig your finger nail into it?

Pete

Thanks Gents - The wood is still very firm and is nice and crisp to plane but there are pockets of black "smudges" that do not look attractive. Is this "only to be expected" or is it symptomatic of "too far gone"
I will send pictures once I've worked out how.

I too have some heavily spalted timber and has some dark spots which have left a number of deep depressions. I intend to fill these with clear epoxy - maybe you could do the same if it fits in with whatever design you are intending to use.

I attach a couple of pics of a piece I have deep sawn and, in the time honoured way, am dreaming up a cabinet to use the size I have.

If Image shack is not too busy double click on the images to view full size

the light part in the lower centre is at the point of becomg too soft but the remainder is sound.

Back