SPACs and the south sea bubble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyr

Established Member
Reaction score
In the financial pages there is concern by some that UK (ie London) should not miss out on the big investments in SPACs (special acquisition companies), so popular in USA.

I remember reading about the 'South Sea Bubble' of the 1700s - the height of folly was when investors poured money into a company formed 'for the purpose of making a great venture, but no-one to know what it is' or some such. mmmmm, rings a bell.

But I'd better not miss out, so here goes my tiny retirement fund (not tiny to me).

Oh or I could put my money with a guy called Woodford or some such, or a German property company (so reliable those Germans).

Just musing, sorry, ---- boom? (short lived?) or bust?

SPACS are quite concerning as they allow some very speculative ways for a people to get onto the stockmarket without having to prove a company really do have a viable product, especially as far as I understand it a lot of them use reverse aquisition techniques as well, Nichola being the prime most recent example, look how great our electric truck is at rolling down a hill, but we wont tell you it's a hill. It works honest guv

edit for typo pointed out by phil👇

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back