soon to be turner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjnufc

Reaction score
This is my first post but I have been lurking around for a while, my shed 10x8 will be up in the next couple of weeks all going well. My tool collection so far is 1/2 inch round nose scraper, 3/4 inch plain skew chisle, 3/8 inch spindle master, 3/4 inch roughing gouge, diamond parting tool and a 3/8 inch spindle gouge, is there anything else I need to add to this list. 8 inch grinder. Now the hard part the lathe here are my choices so far
axminster trade series at1416vs
recordpower cl4
axminster trade series at1628vs
The 1628vs is at the very topend of my budget and I will have to save up a bit longer for and other things will have to wait ie bandsaw, chuck, what are you thoughts on these three or any others to consider.

regards paul

Hi there and welcome, I have the CL4 and have found it happily spins anything I throw at it. It is a boon having the variable speed. With the outboard turning attachment you can turn very large diameter work . I had a problem with my second hand machine ( the phosphor bronze bearing) but this was soon sorted, and the staff at Record power were very helpful indeed. As were the people on this very forum.
I would heartily recommend the CL4.
All the best and happy turning.

It just so happens that this weekend I'm planning to advertise my CL4 on this very forum :)

I've recently acquired another lathe so the CL4 I bought 2 years November ago is going to be sold. It's about half way through it's 5 year guarantee, perfect working order in every respect and I bought it new with both the stand and outrigger bowl attachment. I've not yet had a chance to think through pricing etc so when I photograph it and load up the for sale post I'll get that done. I have all the original paper work (DM tools) and recall paying IRO £1100. Whoever buys it will benefit from the outstanding warranty. I'm only posting this in case you want a CL4 and I don't get round to advertising mine this weekend. If that's the case PM me.

a bit out of my range as I would have to organise a driver as I don't but thanks all the same bob, my only concern with the cl4 is the bars do you get any vibration or sag in them when turning large items if you move the headstock to the centre of the lathe.

regards paul

I have a 1416vs, it's a nice lathe and big enough / powerful enough for a 12" bowl, but happier at 10" and under, especially if it's not perfectly balanced to start with.

My daughter's started turning now which has given me an excuse to buy another. I went for the 1628vs, had it a week and am very happy with it. An excellent lathe and you can see why it's so much more expensive than its little sibling. However, it needs a fair amount of space and if you've got to move it you'll need help. I managed to manhandle mine down a flight of stairs and across a room but it nearly did for me. I'm still all bruised down one arm!

You might want to add a bowl gouge to your list of hand tools but only when you get to the point where you want to make bowls! The other tools will cover most of what you need even if you have to improvise a little. i.e. the skew can be used as a substitute scraper if necessary.

You can do without both chuck and bandsaw but you will find both extremely useful when you get them.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm leaning towards the cl4 would it be best on the metal stand or build a bench, I have a 3/8 inch bowl gouge on my list as that seems to be a popular size choice on all the video's I have watched and some sort of hollowing tool once I get up and running, anything else you would recommend or is that a good start for the moment.

regards paul

Hi Paul,

I have had a CL4 for about 8 years and so far have no problems even with large diameter out-of-balance items (around 23").
The lathe is really solid , no problem with bed bars flexing or any other parts moving when they shouldn't.
Just remember to add a drop of oil every session and the headstock/bearing will last a lifetime or longer.

Hope this helps,

mikec

pjnufc":33yjwpl6 said:
a bit out of my range as I would have to organise a driver as I don't but thanks all the same bob, my only concern with the cl4 is the bars do you get any vibration or sag in them when turning large items if you move the headstock to the centre of the lathe.

regards paul

Hi Paul
I've never noticed any vibration in my bed bars. If the lathe is being subjected to a big out of balance piece, the entire thing will vibrate, which all lathes do unless they're literally half tonne or more industrial strength cast iron behemoths. The usual solution is simply to turn down the variable speed until the vibration ceases and then turn it to true before winding more speed in. Another strategy is to bolt the stand to the floor. But with any lathe and any big out of balance blank you always always always start slow until the balance is in the piece. The 3 big plus's for the CL4 are the bearings design, swivel able headstock and variable speed. A lot of folks moan about the bed bars, I've never found anything wrong with them personally.

Thanks once again for all the advise it is probably just being over causious about the bars flexing,
so I think my mind is made up the cl4 it is, now what to spend what's left of my budget on :lol:

regards paul

Back