Sometimes a 15 point Tennon Saw won't do.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Result of a 'phone call yesterday afternoon, "Do You Want........ the guys just cutting it down......"

YES PLEASE =P~ =P~

_________ ___

_________ ___click on images for larger view

__________Yew and Ash average 210mm dia.

And instructions to take as much as I need from the woodland trimmings anytime. (as long as I leave some firewood).

One Vauxhall Astra a bit light on the stearing, don't know how heavy wet Yew is per cube but it took three of us to get the longest out of the car.

Don't know how much will be usable in 12 months+ time, currently running out of wax, cling film and plastic bags. Could be in for a whole lot of wet turning, only problem is I have not had much luck with freshly cut Ash to date, will have to try and slow the drying of part turned stuff down somehow, perhaps packing it in the wet shavings will help.

You could always leave it for the "chompers" to get at it - isn't thair a gut in the States (Dale Nish?? although I might have the wrong giy) whio turns wet ash which is full of the little blighters and produces the most phenominal work

Scrit

Wow.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

You aren't going to store all that stuff in your shop are you? I'd be worried about critters in it getting into the rest of my wood.

Hi,

I see Aldi have an Oregon electric chain saw for only £39.99 are they any good?

Pete

Dave R":1w5a3frj said:
....snip...You aren't going to store all that stuff in your shop are you? I'd be worried about critters in it getting into the rest of my wood.

No it will be cool stored under cover Somewhere, no more room in workshop areas for more bits, but critters are not a major risk with it as it was still alive and sound as of yesterday. Which is one of the problems, it would have been better harvested in two or three months time when the sap had slowed a bit.

hi never had a prob with ash drying just cut it and chuck it in the shed and dig it out in a year or to. yew on the other hand always shakes :(

There's been something bothering me about this thread :-k and suddenly this morning it dawned on me what it is. :idea:

15ppi is a bit fine for a tenon saw...

Okay, I've got my coat and I'm at the door, pausing only to say "Good score, Chas - what did Di say...?" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":li02iqc4 said:
There's been something bothering me about this thread :-k and suddenly this morning it dawned on me what it is. :idea:

15ppi is a bit fine for a tenon saw...

Ain't that the name for them things with a bit o brass on the backs then? :)

Alf":li02iqc4 said:
Okay, I've got my coat and I'm at the door, pausing only to say "Good score, Chas - what did Di say...?" :wink:

Cheers, Alf

At which point in time/set of expletives to you want... the struggle to get it in the car....the sight of the chainsaw debris in the garage...(When she came back from her Village Luncheon Club duties)...the transporting it all to the waxing shed... or the finding somewhere to store and stack it...... :lol:

Mind you the remark from me that there was at least 6-8 times as much just awaiting my collection did garner a rather more scathing response, thats without the awaited the 'phone call to confirm that the tractor guy has removed the four or five? six foot high stumps that are destined for me (larger diameter bits)

A lot of wet turning lies ahead this year I feel, the shed ceiling has already been re-water stripped.

Dad, I've got you a couple of pieces of wood. :shock:

_________
DSC01664.JPG
___

Why is it the Bandsaw or whatever always needs another 100mm of depth etc. :roll:

CHJ":3spejz4j said:
Funny what you collect over the years :lol:
I know just what you mean, I have two hand axes, two felling axes, a splitting maul, along with a motley collection of wedges. :-s And I am not even a turner. #-o

Back