Softwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

is it ok to turn bowls from softwood?
can u get a good finish

I have loads of Douglas Fir ( I think :? )
even if it just for practising with

Steve

I used a waste end bit of a softwood gatepost on which to practice turning apples. It turned well, at times even with a bit of a shine, but for some reason the wax finish I always use was not as shiny as usual. Repeated coats helped.

P1020223.JPG

Attachments

• P1020223.JPG
    P1020223.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 2,449
I started but the grain is quite open so I am not convinced with getting a polish
I will give it a go

I guess as practise it wont end up as a show piece and can be used as firewood afterwards

Steve

You must ensure you give the wood a good coating of sanding sealer before trying to add a gloss with a soft wax,

If you don't then the wax solvents will penetrate the wood unevenly due to grain orientation and take some time to 'dry' out, even then the appearance may look blotchy.

Pale softwoods will always be a less productive base for displaying any gloss you achieve.

You can but it is as intimated more difficult to get a decent finish, especially in the areas of end grain. I find that giving a good soaking in sealer and leaving overnight before the final cuts helps then as Chas says, another soak before applying any polish. It can be quite dramatic wood if you can get the finish right. This was made from the offcut of some beams from a cottage renovation. Really soft construction stuff.

Attachments

• 2 pine bowl 290 x75.jpg
    2 pine bowl 290 x75.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 2,272
I am giving it a try
only my 3rd bowl so not hoping for much

2nd bowl I done was an oops moment as I turned thru the foot from inside :D

I will measure this time

Steve

Hi

You may find it easier to improve you're technique on a spindle or two before going on to bowls.

Regards Mick

Spindle":agnw6my3 said:
Hi

You may find it easier to improve you're technique on a spindle or two before going on to bowls.

Regards Mick

where's the fun in that :lol:

Steve

It needs finishing but only a practise piece so probably wont get it

bowl3.jpg

at least I found a cheap source of timber to play with :D

photo (46).JPG

steve

Attachments

• bowl3.jpg
    bowl3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 2,337
  • photo (46).JPG
    photo (46).JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,336
Go over it with a magnet before turning as you have visible nails and could have screws or nails hidden as well. Good way to knacker your tools and possible get a bad catch.

Pete

SteveF":35skn676 said:
It needs finishing but only a practise piece so probably wont get it

at least I found a cheap source of timber to play with :D

steve
Nice bowl. I found pine difficult to turn. I had to turn 4 legs for a dining room table, (first attempt at turning). I found it hard to get them smooth and free of tool marks. Thank god for sandpaper. You've done well with that bowl.

thanks for encouragement

I will put a wax on it

not got any finishing tools so had to sand by hand

birthday soon :D

Steve

Back