So you think you are safe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking good quality locks is much harder than people think. I am quite interested in this subject and often watch the lockpicking lawyer.

It is often much easier to gain entry by smashing a window or breaking a door frame, than picking good locks. I bought a couple of lock picking kits and eventually my son and I learned to pick a 5 or 7 tumbler Yale type lock. Easy enough sat at the table, after some practice.

However, in the real world, unlike TV, in upmarket houses especially, you will be faced with two locks. They can be the indent type (much harder to pick) and the Chubb rotary type. If you get a couple of Banhams or even worse a Banham and an Ingersoll, then good luck with picking. Any such place will have cloud based TV and be bristling with alarms, possibly including tamper alarms for locks and hinges.

The sound pattern is great if you can get a microphone close enough, undetected, to pick up the sound of a real key being used.

If you are pushed for time a sawn off shotgun may be quite effective. :oops:

Exactly Mike, that's why mine is plastic that looks like wood :)

In these days of battery operated chainsaws and reciprocating saws, if you have wooden doors it doesn't matter what sort of locks you have.

This is what you need Mike, selling like hot cakes to cannabis farms for protection against the rozzers ;)

8091FE17-5525-4B1D-BCB6-EFA30A27F4D2.jpeg

Last edited:
read somewhere,
if u make a wooden door or bolt a steel sheet over it for protection.....
Sandwich a sheet of roofing felt between the wood n the steel.....
Grinders can't cut thru it because the gum up the disc.....

Mike makes a good point. He omits to mention battery powered angle grinders that will trump your metal door. Roofing felt, as suggested above, will not stop an angle grinder. I have cut through a roof with metal sheet, roofing felt and OSB (demolishing an old chicken shed left by former owner).

It's an interesting subject. Burglary used to be worthwhile if thieves could get away with cash or easily fenced valuables. Cash is falling out of use. Fencing via eBay etc on any kind of scale is risky as the perp is easily traced and it costs money traceable by credit card. CCTV is also very cheap now and alarms are much easier to install now that they do not need to be hired wired. They are also cheap now. seriously ear shattering siren can be had for a £100 if you really want to draw attention.

Back