Snapped screw!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So annoying when that happens asking for it using brass screws in hard wood though. You need to get the pilot hole just right in hard wood, I worked in Jarrah (very hard west Australian timber) for many years and this happened a lot.

I would solve it by using a plug cutter just large enough to cover the broken screw then break out the plug and replace the wood with a larger plug.

Dave

Could you not remove a little wood from around the top of the screw to give you room to grab it with a pair of pliers?

Or use a panel pin, with the head cut off, in a drill to make a series of small holes around it so you pull it out.

Sheffield Tony":2w506ycw said:
The tools I have seen for removing snapped screws, rather than a bit of brass tube, look very like a roll pin with teeth filed in the end. This would probably be about perfect, the spring steel of a roll pin is probably quite similar to saw steel.

The teeth want to be filed so as to cut whilst drilling in reverse, so there is a chance it will grab the screw and remove it without having to drill it out completely.

That is just brilliant. Filed in my failing memory for future reference!

Back