Small victories

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selectortone

Still waking up not dead in the morning
Reaction score
I'm a happy bunny today; after watching a few youtube videos and buying a crimp tool and some RJ-45 connectors I replaced the faulty connector on the end of my laptop's LAN cable. I need the cable because I use the laptop to maintain a music and movie collection that often involves large file transfers - wireless is just too slow. The alternative was buying another cable, moving furniture and pulling up the carpet. The tool arrived today and half an hour later I have a cable connection again! Ha!! From a 65-year old with failing eyesight... take that modern technology!!

It's always nice to fix things yourself. Especially if it saves you a lot of work.

Has anyone tried the LAN through mains kits? I only have a single phone socket in my house which the router sits next to. The PC is on the other side of the house which is connected via WIFI, but it's a little slow. Hard wiring a lan cable works much better. Wondering if I should get a better router in attempt to get a better WIFI connection or try the main adaptors. Routing LAN cable is not really an option

transatlantic":3ioz5k4n said:
It's always nice to fix things yourself. Especially if it saves you a lot of work.

Has anyone tried the LAN through mains kits? I only have a single phone socket in my house which the router sits next to. The PC is on the other side of the house which is connected via WIFI, but it's a little slow. Hard wiring a lan cable works much better. Wondering if I should get a better router in attempt to get a better WIFI connection or try the main adaptors. Routing LAN cable is not really an option

Yes they do work. Some better than others. Mind you, any local radio amateurs are really going to love you.

Making LAN cables I had a vey frustrating time until I learnt I was trying to use rj45 crimp on connectors meant for stranded cable on solid cable.

Use plug in 'over the mains' jobbies for Netflix on TV when router is on other side of house. 30 quid ish from Argos seem good, very easy set up and good signal.

F.

transatlantic":vhs6922k said:

If this reply reaches you it's proof that they work... seriously, they are so easy and cheap now I don't think I will ever need to mess about threading data cables under floors. I've already ripped out most of the obsolete telephone extension wiring I put in a decade or so ago; I'm glad I never got round to doing network cables.

RogerS":2u94rvji said:
transatlantic":2u94rvji said:

Yes they do work. Some better than others. Mind you, any local radio amateurs are really going to love you.
Yep, I had horrendous noise suddenly appear over many frequencies. After a long delay Ofcom tracked it down and sorted it out for me. The next door but one neighbour had fitted one of these gadgets loading the mains with noise.
It was removed!

RogerP":1eenr4ia said:
RogerS":1eenr4ia said:
transatlantic":1eenr4ia said:

Yep, I had horrendous noise suddenly appear over many frequencies. After a long delay Ofcom tracked it down and sorted it out for me. The next door but one neighbour had fitted one of theses gadgets loading the mains with noise. It was removed!

Excellent result, Roger.

RogerP":22qv3owk said:
RogerS":22qv3owk said:
transatlantic":22qv3owk said:

Yep, I had horrendous noise suddenly appear over many frequencies. After a long delay Ofcom tracked it down and sorted it out for me. The next door but one neighbour had fitted one of these gadgets loading the mains with noise.
It was removed!
Interesting Roger, - can they actually make someone remove one of those in their own house? What 'powers' do they use to do that?

stuartpaul":9g2skynr said:
RogerP":9g2skynr said:
RogerS":9g2skynr said:
It was removed!
Interesting Roger, - can they actually make someone remove one of those in their own house? What 'powers' do they use to do that?

Ofcom takes enforcement action across a number of industry sectors and is able to use a range of statutory powers granted by, amongst others, the Communications Act 2003, the Competition Act 1998, the Enterprise Act 2002, the Broadcasting Act 1990, the Broadcasting Act 1996, EU Regulations and the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006.

We take enforcement action for the benefit of citizens and consumers to:

encourage competition
resolve regulatory disputes between communication providers
enforce consumer protection law
encourage compliance
protect members of the public from the inclusion of offensive and harmful material, from unfair treatment and from unwarranted infringements of privacy in television and radio programmes
protect and manage the radio spectrum

They have a lot of power.

Latest posts

Back