Small box design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobajobob

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently made a small parabolic shaped box out of some wood scraps. While making it I kept thinking how it would look with different features. It was a simple design so I made a series of bases and lids that could be interchanged. As only scraps were used it was an opportunity to try anything I fancied and would be interesting to see combinations that I would not normally consider. It proved an interesting and enjoyable exercise. The boxes are about 60mm dia.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02557.1024.JPG
    DSC02557.1024.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 1,384
  • DSC02558.1024.JPG
    DSC02558.1024.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 1,384
  • DSC02559.1024.JPG
    DSC02559.1024.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,384
  • DSC02575.1024.JPG
    DSC02575.1024.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 1,384
  • DSC02573.1024a.jpg
    DSC02573.1024a.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1,384
nice work. i particularly like the left hand side of each row

Congrats on the interface sizing control across the pieces, a simple production attainment but a far more difficult thing to control in a timely manner using differing wood densities and form variations, in what are to all intents 'one offs'.

I like the witches hat one the best, on any of the bases. I think it pairs with any of the bottoms really well.

Coley

CHJ":pv1ocbl1 said:
Congrats on the interface sizing control across the pieces, a simple production attainment but a far more difficult thing to control in a timely manner using differing wood densities and form variations, in what are to all intents 'one offs'.

A knowing man. Many "inching" cuts.

Bob

Random Orbital Bob":1cwegmcu said:
KimG":1cwegmcu said:
I like all of them, what are the insides like?

Straight for the jugular eh Kim :)

Its only a design exercise, they're not exhibition pieces!

Just token hollowing. Inside is irrelevant.
But here you are.

Kim, I just checked out your site. There's some beautiful pieces. Superb finishing.
I started turning a few months ago and finishing is a black art that still eludes me.
Comes with experience I guess.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02589.1024.jpg
    DSC02589.1024.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,219
Nice work, Bob. A great idea to just play with designs and see what you like. I do so little turning that I'm always working on something that I want to finish, whereas just having some time experimenting would be extremely useful. I especially like the continuous curve of the box and lid.

Thanks Stewart.

There are so many pressing jobs needed on the house (I'm told!) but I still make time for some "free thinking". It's usually the wife's telly time when I creep off to the shed.
Play-time can often be more rewarding than work-time and much more fun. I love experimenting with designs, methods and materials. Trouble is, my mind is always in the shed these days which keeps getting me into trouble.

ATB Bob

Random Orbital Bob":ip4ywlj6 said:
KimG":ip4ywlj6 said:

Haha ROB :D, I hadn't really thought of it that way, but I guess it was a bit of a challenging question. Actually the inside that Bobajob has shown looks very good in the photo, a good interior raises the standard considerably.

bobajobob":2idbyv0w said:
Random Orbital Bob":2idbyv0w said:
KimG":2idbyv0w said:

Its only a design exercise, they're not exhibition pieces!

Just token hollowing. Inside is irrelevant.
But here you are.

Kim, I just checked out your site. There's some beautiful pieces. Superb finishing.
I started turning a few months ago and finishing is a black art that still eludes me.
Comes with experience I guess.

Bob

Thanks Bobajob, I think your work here is very good, the inside of this little box looks very nicely turned and finished. Excellent work.

The only reason I mentioned it is because every single time our turning club has a competition with a hollowing component....the very first thing the judges do is run their fingers round the inside :)

It's become something of a joke amongst the members so woe betide anyone who doesn't observe the necessary rigour to get that little nipple out from the inside base or pay careful attention to the transition of base to interior wall....all the places where tearout is apt to trip you up.

It was that backdrop that made me think you too had experienced over zealous club competition judging :)

Bob....I did realise that your pieces were design experiments and dam fine they are too. If it were me, I wouldn't finish the insides either because that's not their purpose. But I wouldn't let them anywhere near one of the judges from the club :)

The judge at our club has been quite nice about the few bits I've taken to the club so far and was even complementary about one of the pieces so I have to say he's very fair! :lol:

Our regular judge is I guess you'd call it harsh but fair! The critique's tend to leave those with a fragile ego slightly in tatters but those who genuinely want to learn with clear direction about how and why to improve. Personally, I like that and don't need people to pussy cat foot around telling me my work is brilliant if in fact it's rubbish. I've always preferred a straight bat in things like this.

Back